Suppressing Windows 10 Update and Forced Reboots

Meet our new DJ. His name is Otto Mayshun.
Shane

Re: Suppressing Windows 10 Update and Forced Reboots

Post by Shane » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:50 am

I've had Win7 boxes with 80gb drives pretty much self-distruct over time due to limited drive space, even on limited use hardware such as digital signage or kiosk operations.
A lot of this is Windows bloating up a certain subfolder under the Windows folder.

I’m typing on an Apple device so I can’t refresh my memory as to what it’s called but it starts with Win.

I asked an expert whether this folder could be deleted and, of course, you can’t touch it. At a rate of 5-15GB per year, more or less, it’s easy to see how a drive can get filled up with this pollution. Thinking a thorough wipe and fresh OS install would get one the space back at the expense of having to redo everything else. Wouldn’t think a cloning program could solve this.

Having a separate drive for your data would postpone the inevitable and not take your data with it when it TUs.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

radio_guru

Re: Suppressing Windows 10 Update and Forced Reboots

Post by radio_guru » Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:11 am

The point of this thread is about WIN10 updates with a forced restart taking the station or operation down. :)

RR

spareparts

Suppressing Windows 10 Update and Forced Reboots

Post by spareparts » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:16 am

I pretty much gave up fighting MS re the update and forced reboot issue - what seems to be working for me so far

Deploy Server 2016, and the "user experience" package. Pretty much acts like W10, with the ability to update and reboot issue on your schedule, not theirs.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... experience