Walmart Drive-In Movies Using FM Transmitter

Discuss FCC rules, regulations, news, and information!
Dale H. Cook

Walmart Drive-In Movies Using FM Transmitter

Post by Dale H. Cook »

Walmart will begin showing drive-in movies in Walmart parking lots at 160 stores beginning on August 14. They apparently have six systems to do so as movies will be shown at only six locations nationwide each day. They will be using FM transmitters to convey the audio to viewers' cars. I have been unable to obtain any information from Walmart about the type of FM transmitter that they will use. I have left voicemail with Enforcement Bureau to see if they know anything. It seems unlikely that a single Part 15 transmitter per parking lot will be sufficient unless the limited number of cars per store (most store have already reached their reservation limits) is quite small.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html
grich

Re: Walmart Drive-In Movies Using FM Transmitter

Post by grich »

A drive-in aficionado I'm acquainted with says some of today's SDR-based car radios will introduce delay, meaning you will have to tolerate lip-flap.

He advised bringing an old boom box for sound, or drive in with a beater with a working car stereo.
Deep Thought

Re: Walmart Drive-In Movies Using FM Transmitter

Post by Deep Thought »

A single part 15-compliant transmitter located on a strategic parking light pole should be able to cover a ~250-500 foot radius depending on the channel used, which is plenty for a parking lot movie setup. The trick in most areas is going to be finding an open channel.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com