FM Translator Legal ID Question

Discuss FCC rules, regulations, news, and information!
Fran3
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

FM Translator Legal ID Question

Post by Fran3 »

Regarding the Legal ID for an FM Translator granted to an AM station under the AM Revitalization program...

In reading §74.1283 Station Identification at https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?n ... 4.74_11283
about using Morse Code to ID the FM translator...

In Section 2) it says...
(2) By transmitting the "call sign" in International Morse Code at least once each hour.

Question 1: Does this mean you only have to transmit the call sign... and not the translators city of license?

Question 2: Can we just play a recording of the Morse Code ID on both the AM & FM translator hourly?
... I'm not sure I see this explicitly written in Section (2) (i), or (2)(ii), or (2)(d), or (2)(e)

Thanks for any help.
Deep Thought

Re: FM Translator Legal ID Question

Post by Deep Thought »

The answers are right in that rule:
(2) By transmitting the call sign in International Morse Code at least once each hour. Transmitters of FM broadcast translator stations of more than 1 watt transmitter output power must be equipped with an automatic keying device that will transmit the call sign at least once each hour, unless there is in effect a firm agreement with the translator's primary station as provided in §74.1283(c)(1) of this section. Transmission of the call sign can be accomplished by:

(i) Frequency shifting key; the carrier shift shall not be less than 5 kHz nor greater than 25 kHz.

(ii) Amplitude modulation of the FM carrier of at least 30 percent modulation. The audio frequency tone use shall not be within 200 hertz of the Emergency Broadcast System Attention signal alerting frequencies.
No city of license required. No playing Morse code in the main program.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com
TPT

Post by TPT »

The easier route is to run the call three times a day: Morning between 7 & 9, afternoon between 4 and 6, and midday around 1 PM.

As a practical matter, soon after your translator goes on the air, most of the audience will migrate to FM. If you run an ID saying something like this:
"AM 1580 WXXX is also found at 98.3 FM, W252ZZ, Springfield; no-one besides radio people and DX'ers will even notice.

We just run all 3 sets of calls in our TOH ID: " 1450, WVAM Parkersburg, 98.1 W251CP, Parkersburg, and 107.9, W300AQ, St. Marys"
(followed by 'bong' "CBS News on the hour"--it's a 60's and 70's oldies station)
TPT

Post by TPT »

The rule, by the way, is at Sec. 74.1283. Properly cited as 47 CFR Sec. 74.1283. Look it up at ECFR.Gov, you want title 47 telecommunications, then find the part of the title you are looking for.
Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought »

The link is posted above.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com
Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought »

TPT wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:49 am The easier route is to run the call three times a day: Morning between 7 & 9, afternoon between 4 and 6, and midday around 1 PM.
Almost every transmitter sold for translator service has FSK ID capabilities. That is the easiest route...set it up and it takes care of it for you.
TPT

Post by TPT »

Not necessarily, especially at the higher powers used in newer translator installations. I have four translators on one of my towers. My translator is a VS-1 Nautel running a TPO of 817 watts. Another company uses an Ecresso kilowatt running about 800 watts. Then there are two Gates Air transmitters from one of the local clusters running about 800 and 500 watts. Don't know about the Ecresso, but the neither Gates Air has the ability to generate FSK. The Nautel has it, but we want to promote the two FM frequencies, since they have much better coverage than the AM.
DaveSt
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaveSt »

TPT wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 5:34 am Not necessarily, especially at the higher powers used in newer translator installations. I have four translators on one of my towers. My translator is a VS-1 Nautel running a TPO of 817 watts. Another company uses an Ecresso kilowatt running about 800 watts. Then there are two Gates Air transmitters from one of the local clusters running about 800 and 500 watts. Don't know about the Ecresso, but the neither Gates Air has the ability to generate FSK. The Nautel has it, but we want to promote the two FM frequencies, since they have much better coverage than the AM.
The Ecreso can do FSK. Any recent GatesAir transmitter will also do it. It is in the System Config/TX Setup/ID Keyer GUI.
TPT

Post by TPT »

Well-buried in the manual I have for the one I set up for that company. On the other hand, the RDS set-up was easier on the Gates Air than on the Nautel.

Manual writing is a lost art, especially when transmitters are built elsewhere but sold here.