Page 1 of 1

Moving main studio

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:17 am
by smalltownbroadcaster
Hello there, first time poster - long time lurker!

Own a small commercial FM out West; and recently have taking over all duties...

We are looking at moving our Studio across town, but still within community of license. Can anyone let me know if this is a simple 'Minor Modification' (form 301)...or something more, or something less? I realize there are likely not Attorneys on this board, but this seems like a somewhat simple thing; just need to know the rules for sure and I am having a hard time searching the commission.

Thanks, and learning lots of good things here!

Re: Moving main studio

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:24 am
by grich
Everything you need to know is in 73.1125...

Well, maybe not EVERYTHING, but... :D

Check out paragraph (d) of that Rule.

Re: Moving main studio

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:37 am
by smalltownbroadcaster
Thanks Grich! I read through that last night; but I wasnt sure what 'notification to the FCC in Washington shall be made promptly' means exactly? Just a letter, email, telegraph, etc? :roll:

Re: Moving main studio

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 4:24 pm
by Deep Thought
Main studio change within the community of license is just a letter submission (in triplicate of course :mrgreen: ). Be sure you also change the station's official mailing address if it is the old studio location. Do that in CDBS "non-form filings" under "Change in Official Mailing Address for Broadcast Station".

Re: Moving main studio

Posted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:51 pm
by TPT

If you use a licensed STL (i.e.--950 mhz system--"STL" is used loosely nowadays to include unlicensed 5 GHZ systems down to systems using the internet) to feed your programing to the transmitter; will need to go through the prior coordination process to notify everyone on you co-channel and adjacent channels that your STL path is changing. Then file for a new license for your STL. Since "everyone" means a boatload of of folks out quite a number of miles, you will need to use one of the frequency coordinators.

I use Terrestrial RF in Tulsa--their services/prices/etc are on the web site