Peaking a dish alone

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
w9wi

Peaking a dish alone

Post by w9wi » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:45 pm

Faced a bit of a challenge this morning. I had a satellite dish not quite delivering enough signal on Galaxy 19. Needed to peak it up -- but there's no motor on this dish. The feed is 25 feet in the air so temporarily connecting a spectrum analyzer to the back of the LNB wasn't really an option. It'd be nice to have someone in the building reading back specan readings -- but that someone is on vacation this week:(

Enter FaceTime. Borrowed a second iPhone, propped it up next to the specan screen, and FaceTimed myself.

Worked great. I'm amazed how little latency there is in this system.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

PID_Stop

Re: Peaking a dish alone

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:22 am

That's a clever solution -- I'll have to remember it.

I switched our Bounce, Laff, and Escape feeds over to HD yesterday (the stations we run here don't carry Grit)... generally fairly painless, and the RF level is much higher now than it was on Friday, so our receivers are staying locked, except for about 30 seconds during a torrential downpour yesterday afternoon.

The PIDs are indeed mapped identically to the old SD assignments; SCTE trigger PIDs got straightened out yesterday morning, as Bounce was calling for the legal ID during local break avails, and I had minor glitches with Laff and Escape. Everything has been working properly since about 1pm yesterday.

We jumped on this pretty quickly, since I wanted plenty of time to solve problems -- I'm going out of town at the end of the week. Now I see that Katz has extended the SD end date another week, so stations have more time to finish their cutover.

Hooray! Hope your cutover goes uneventfully --

Jeff

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:22 am

It turned out the dish in question was already peaked... it simply isn't going to deliver enough RF to make this work. We stole a dish from News until the new LNB arrives. Someone who's a better-qualified steeplejack will be swapping it.

We normally use an Arris -- I want to say DSR-4460 but I'm out sick today & don't remember for sure. Initially on Escape, it wasn't picking up the audio PIDs. It was looking for audio on 0x1FFE and obviously not finding it. That problem solved itself while I was hacking on the dish. I'm assuming something changed at the uplink encoders. I wasn't able to find any way to manually change PIDs on the Arris.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:05 am

w9wi wrote:
Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:22 am
We normally use an Arris -- I want to say DSR-4460 but I'm out sick today & don't remember for sure. Initially on Escape, it wasn't picking up the audio PIDs. It was looking for audio on 0x1FFE and obviously not finding it. That problem solved itself while I was hacking on the dish. I'm assuming something changed at the uplink encoders. I wasn't able to find any way to manually change PIDs on the Arris.
Yeah, the audio for Escape should be PID 258 decimal, 102h. They might have been messing around with the PMT... our Sencore receivers are set to specify the PIDs manually, so that wouldn't have affected us. Back when we added these channels two years ago, I ended up having to go manual instead of simply selecting the service, so that we could ignore the extra SCTE PIDs we don't need for Bounce.

Hope you feel better quickly!

Jeff

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:30 pm

I was rather surprised at the Arris. I expected to have to manually enter PIDs, but best I can tell there is no way to do so on that IRD. It worked fine on the old SD feeds.

On hindsight.. my boss tuned the RX8200 & he didn't say anything about having to manually enter PIDs. Although he used Compusat & maybe it overrode whatever was messed up in the PMT?
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed Jun 20, 2018 2:09 pm

The only service where this was an issue was Bounce, which has separate PIDs for legal ID, local ad avail, and program preroll. Escape, Grit, and Laff only generate a single PID for the IDs... so if you are taking one of the other feeds, you can let the receiver automatically set the PIDs based on the service.

Jeff