BVH-2000 EOT (end of tape) stop not working?

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
oldtvgear

BVH-2000 EOT (end of tape) stop not working?

Post by oldtvgear » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:24 pm

I have a BVH-2000ps we just got working but despite having EOT (end of tape stop) switch set to on, and setting the dip switch on LG-02 board so to ensure the main switch hasn't been disabled, its still not slowing down when it gets to the start of the reel.

Any ideas of what to check or could be the problem?

PID_Stop

Re: BVH-2000 EOT (end of tape) stop not working?

Post by PID_Stop » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:05 am

Make sure the timer roller isn't slipping -- give it a very good cleaning with isopropyl alcohol to try and get rid of the surface glaze. Also, make sure that it spins freely (if the bearings are at all stiff, the tape is more likely to slip on the roller). You might want to pop the C-clip that holds the timer roller in place; the roller will pull right off the shaft with the bearings. The bearing assemblies will pop right out of the roller, and you can soak them in something to degrease them (again, alcohol will do). They don't need to be lubricated, and should spin freely without chattering.

Roller slip tends to happen at higher tape speeds; so if you've been playing a half hour tape and go to rewind, the slippage can fool the machine into thinking that it hasn't approached the end of the tape yet.

Also, if you ran the tape completely off the supply reel and had to re-thread the machine, it will lose its data for how long the tape is, with a similar result.

Jeff

oldtvgear

Re: BVH-2000 EOT (end of tape) stop not working?

Post by oldtvgear » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:34 pm

Thank you for the reply,

The timer roller moves freely, and looks in good condition. I have cleaned it anyway as it may be a little dusty.

When you spin it hard it still spins for some time of its own accord just like the other machines.

I thought that the machine detected the reel size and how much time was left by reel revolutions and tension and calculated it from there?