Snow removal on 5 meter dish

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
rftranstv

Snow removal on 5 meter dish

Post by rftranstv » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:55 am

So whats everyone using to clean out their large sat. dishes? I have been using a snow rake meant to remove snow from roofs. It works for getting the bulk of snow out, but it leaves behind some because the rake is straight and obviously the dish is parabolic. I usually use a push broom after i hit it with the rake, but i can't reach all the dish with a push broom. Anyone using anything that is designed to clean bigger dishes?

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: Snow removal on 5 meter dish

Post by NECRAT » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:28 pm

Honestly, if you're in a snowy zone, the BEST investment you can get is a snow cover. Nothing beats just tapping it with the end of a broom handle, and having it all fall on your head. But it cleans the dish off fast.

What my former station had was a modified piece of solid thick grade fiberclass, cut into a piece shaped like this
<==>.

Tied to a telescoping pole. The Patriot antennas blew chunks when it comes to cleaning snow off because of the lip, but it worked best.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:12 pm

Second on the black smooth cover. Got a dish on top of a hill that gets covered. Instead of it hitting me on the head, with the dish right on the ground the snow always falls into my boots. Brrrrr, it gets cold.

However, if you have a shop vac handy, take and reverse the hose into the exhaust and hit the switch. The motor warms up and if you stick your sock onto the end of the pipe, it dries them out pretty quick. Works well on the fleece lined boots too!

Fossil

rftranstv

Post by rftranstv » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:43 pm

I do have some covers on my network dishes and steerables. Might have to get covers for all the dishes. The issue we ran into with the snow rake is it leaves behind some stuff, then when it starts to warm up that little bit of snow turns to slush. I swear a little bit of that slush in the right spot can be worse than the entire dish being covered in snow.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:56 pm

rftranstv wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:43 pm
I do have some covers on my network dishes and steerables. Might have to get covers for all the dishes. The issue we ran into with the snow rake is it leaves behind some stuff, then when it starts to warm up that little bit of snow turns to slush. I swear a little bit of that slush in the right spot can be worse than the entire dish being covered in snow.
Always clean from the center out. That's rule #1. The focus is on the center of the parabolic. The edges being snowy just reduce your gain some.

Also if you do get covers, very careful how you tighten them. Too tight, and your round dish becomes an oval.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Shane

Post by Shane » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:15 am

My previous stations have a broom on a telescopic pole that gets all the way to the top of a 3.7M dish with the bottom of the dish about 3-1/2 feet off the ground. To get the stubborn stuff they have a thing called a Snow-Brum which is a sort of soft plastic snow rake with rather sharp seams around the edges. Meant to use on cars but works on the sticky remains in the dish if you tape it to the other end of the pole broom and scrub with it.

I don’t know where we got it but one could probably find it at your nearby dollar store. The GM bought it around 2000. I thought it was kind of cheesy at the time but the thing still lives.
Mike Shane, CBRE
-Omaha-

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:08 am

16 foot extendable stick with a floor scrubbing brush attached. Long, light weight and small enough to work on a not too flat plane.
Our 5m dishes now have heaters on them. Can't remember to brand name, but they cover the entire back of the dish. Works great except for the 5m that's at the end of the 200 building when the snow/wind is off the lake. Snow blows all the way across the bldg. and dumps in the dish. Usually to much too fast too melt after a couple a hours.
Black covers are OK if it's windy when it snows. Otherwise snow builds up on the cover, and when the sun hits it, snow melts into ice, blocking the signal.
IOW, you just can't win always.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

grich

Post by grich » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:31 am

On most dishes at the day job, we're using an extendable pole with a squeegee modified by the boss to have a curved surface to match the dish best as possible.