AES/EBU utility mixer

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
Nathaniel Steele

AES/EBU utility mixer

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:48 pm

I'm looking for a small and preferably cheap device to take 2 AES/EBU signals, and take the left channel of each and put seperately on the left and right of an output. so in1 left to out L and in 2 left to out right. oh, and not requiring a running computer at all times (config by computer is fine)seems like this would exist for less than a 1000 dollar digital mixer.

Maybe someone more familiar with TV gear knows of something?

djpcraze

Re: AES/EBU utility mixer

Post by djpcraze » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:22 am

I tried very hard to find a similar device, but to no avail. What I ended up with in my facility was a Windows 10 LTSB 1RU Lenovo mini-server (not connected to any network at all, so no worries of updates) with a Lynx 16 card in it. Ours is for Katz Expressway sub-mixing, so its actually in the airchain for the whole cluster :shock: therefore I plugged it into a networked power switch so if it ever soils the bed at 2am it can be rebooted without a trip in.

As sketchy as that sounds, its been on the air for at least two years now without a reboot or a crash. Windows will run for a long, long time if nothing touches it.

It worked for us since we had most of the hardware sitting around, but to each his own. Your mileage may vary.

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:41 pm

hmmm.IF I had to, I have a pile of lynxone cards that won't work past windows xp, if it's not on a network, no worries.

I was also looking at maybe finding a cheap yamaha DME 32 on ebay....which would be way overkill.

radio_guru

Post by radio_guru » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:43 am

You could also try using a a Wheatnet blade with AES inputs (88D). The blades don't need a computer and each carries 2 utility mixers. You would need to check with Whetastone about splitting the AES inputs. I seem to recall it's possible, but needs a little internal effort to break out the AES into dual mono appearances from the standard stereo.

At $3300 it's a bit more than the sought after price range. But it does what's needed in a stand-alone configuration which can then be walked away from.

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:33 am

I'd like to redo the whole TOC in wheatnet.....but for now I will need a cheaper solution.

radio_guru

Post by radio_guru » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:22 pm

Keep an eye on Ebay. They sometimes have blades listed. There is at present a big E6 with a studio full of V2 blades available for $11K. That's cheap!!! But that's overkill too unless you're in the mood for such a work surface along with the 8 blades.

And, don't forget that the blade can integrate with others added at a later date. Forward looking. The only caveat is the original blade just needs to be of the same firmware version. Not a big deal.

RG