Audio dropouts on Yankees game broadcasts

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
kcbooboo

Re: Audio dropouts on Yankees game broadcasts

Post by kcbooboo » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:13 am

It's not one of my stations either. I'm just a contract guy working for the CE. I'll start caring when they do. I know, rotten attitude, but when you're dealing with a Chapter11 company who's up to their eyelashes in debt and currently only cares about streaming, what else can you do?

I gather the Yankees games aren't a big money-maker, otherwise they'd be jumping all over this problem. Besides, any local ads are inserted by the automation system and they always play without dropouts.

Bob M.

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Thu May 09, 2019 1:33 pm

Apparently the LNB was having some issues a few days ago and the CE replaced it. The error log showed low signal levels until the sun heated it up. I'll have to listen to the Yankees game tonight and see if there are still dropouts.

Stay tuned to this station for further news and information. This concludes this test... oh wait, wrong cart!

Bob M.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri May 31, 2019 11:56 am

Not sure if your issue is resolved, but the Yankees game on the local Cumulus owned radio station was having drop outs on Sunday.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:28 am

Funny you should mention that. I was listening to Friday night's game (last night) and thought "Gee, I haven't heard any dropouts..." then of course one happened a couple of minutes after 9pm. A couple of days ago there were lots of very long dropouts, some that were at least one full second, maybe more. They're very easy to hear on a baseball game because there's always crowd noise, and when that goes silent, either they lost the entire feed from the stadium (which would affect ALL stations) or the satellite signal was the culprit.

I never heard anything about whether the sat rx logs showed any correlation to actual audio outages. The CE has to contact me when he has the time to check things and wants my help; I haven't heard a word from him.

I think one of the other local stations must be getting the audio via ISDN because there's almost no delay between their signal and the one on the originating station, and they shut off profanity delays during the home games so the air staff can hear the audio in real time. Too bad my local station can't use the same feed in lieu of the satellite.

Bob M.

radio_guru

Post by radio_guru » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:13 pm

They don't shut off the HD or profanity delays for real time monitoring, they shut it off the for the fans to hear the PBP. There is way too much latency in the feed to the station, let alone the transmission chain, to have the broadcast team listen off-air.

Many local stations will also willfully delay their PBP audio to match an off-air network TV feed when there is one so the fans can listen to their favorite game callers instead of the national hacks. It's not precise by any stretch and within a 1/4 second is usually the goal.

But rest assured, the guys in the booth don't monitor what's leaving the antenna.