power consumption and heat dissipation

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
devotee

power consumption and heat dissipation

Post by devotee » Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:03 pm

i am having trouble to find data regarding power consumption and heat dissipation of harris NXESB624 BROCADE 24 port 10/100/100Base T ethernet switch, harris RCP-24LCD-OLED router control panel, harris PM-FR-9 PLATINUM MX 9RU FRAME ASSEMBLY, AdderLink 17" LCD KVM-Rack-Console, AdderLink cascading KVM Switch AVX 1008. I would be very grateful for any kind of help.

Dale H. Cook

Re: power consumption and heat dissipation

Post by Dale H. Cook » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:57 am

I would just measure their load current. I keep a short 3-conductor extension cord in the truck for that purpose, with about 6" of the jacket removed to expose the conductors. I plug the DUT into the cord and the cord into the wall, then put a clamp-on ammeter on the black conductor to measure current. Measure the line voltage at the wall with a DMM and multiply the two readings.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:01 am

Dale H. Cook wrote:I would just measure their load current. I keep a short 3-conductor extension cord in the truck for that purpose, with about 6" of the jacket removed to expose the conductors.
I have exactly the same sort of cord, for just this purpose. Just to make sure it's clear: only remove the outer jacket, not the insulation on the individual wires. I can tell several stories about people who didn't make this distinction... happily, those were only audio cables. :shock:

Bear in mind that some pieces of equipment (computers, especially) vary their current draw depending on what they are doing at the moment, and most devices draw considerably more current than average when they are first turned on. If you are using these figures to size an uninterruptible supply, you need to account for the start-up inrush current, not the load when things have settled down. For UPS sizing and cooling applications, I tend to use the nameplate ratings on each device since that's fairly conservative, and it provides for reconfiguration (adding cards to a D/A frame, for example).

-- Jeff

Tim Burke
Forum Jedi

Post by Tim Burke » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:59 pm

As long as it all runs on 120V power, a kill-a-watt would be a great choice to meter power usage:

http://www.amazon.com/P3-International- ... B00009MDBU

Best $20 one can spend when working with measuring power, fire code compliance, etc.

devotee

Post by devotee » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:50 am

thank you all for your useful tips