Gates Harris Yard 80 Solid State Console

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
Bill DeFelice

Gates Harris Yard 80 Solid State Console

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:39 pm

OO, I realize that this is probably a long shot but I figured I'd ask the braintrust.

I'm restoring a Gates Yard 80 solid state console, which happens to be the actual first console I started in radio as a teen. I'm hoping to perform a partial restoration for this year's reunion of our former high school radio alumni.

I'm wondering if anyone has either a manual or any pictures of the inside of this beast, as it looks as if it was modified from the time it was installed in late 1973 / early 1974. While the unit has been disassembled for repainting I did see at least one thing that wasn't "factory" and, if possible, I'd like to get as close to factory as possible. Photo below shows the console:

bdf-yard-80.jpg

Any shades of wisdom that can be offered is most appreciated. BTW: In case you're curious, the young lad on the right happens to be me.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Shane

Re: Gates Harris Yard 80 Solid State Console

Post by Shane » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:54 pm

Bill,

Nice pic! Dude.

I think I have one of those in storage. If I can get to it, I should be able to get some internal pictures. I don't know if this one has been modified but it may be obvious once I get inside. Might have a manual if we get real lucky.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Bill DeFelice

Re: Gates Harris Yard 80 Solid State Console

Post by Bill DeFelice » Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:52 pm

The manual would be great but the pics would be helpful. There's an extra transformer in the unit which looks too much of a non-factory install, judging by how it's mounted. Appreciate anything you might be able to muster up. Thanks in advance.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions