Sage ENDEC Printing

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
jantonuk

Sage ENDEC Printing

Post by jantonuk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 4:51 pm

For many years my Sage Endecs have been printing on the network to an HP LJ 4000 then LJ 4200 printer.
Well the old LJ4200 just lost a fuser and it is not worth fixing.
When I enter the IP address of my Canon copier, the ENDEC won't print to it.

The Print Log shows an error "device_id failed"
hp_print $Revision: 1.11 $ compiled Apr 2 2011 17:33:03
uri: "hp:/net?ip=10.60.5.32"
Printing file 1: "/root/printer/1522871578-438718-a.prn"
uri: hp:/net?ip=10.60.5.32
ip: 10.60.5.32
port: 1
jd.c 123 bug! unable to read device-id
Error: device_id failed for 10.60.5.32:1
PrintFile: printing using resident fonts
PrintFileFonts: SelectPrintMode failed: 4
PrintFile: print function returned 4

The Sage Technical Support FAQ lists ONLY HP printers as compatible.

What are others doing?

John

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: Sage ENDEC Printing

Post by NECRAT » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:08 pm

Having the units email, and print the email.

That's what I did for one station I setup.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:37 am

Not printing at all....

I have quite a number of Sage units at clients and none of them print directly. One was trying to do it via ftp somehow but the big office printer would print a single line per sheet of paper and I just killed the ftp. They had boxes of paper that was their "EAS Log" previous to that.

Every one of the units that I have, sends the alerts via a gmail account to 1 or more station accounts (including my device logging account) and the email is used as the log. I filter my device emails out by station and alert type to keep an eye on what is happening. I often see a problem before anyone at the station does.

The email and unit login credentials are posted discretely on most of the EAS units (typically in a secure area anyway) for access to the logs in case of an inspection. If you don't want to do that, just print the required stuff from email and keep the credentials secret.

Regards,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:42 am

Both our Sages are at the studios, and are on the internal network. So the simple solution is bring up the Sage on a browser and print out the log pages on a networked printer. One printer is a Xerox Phaser, the other a little Brother laser. No problem. I did discover that Chrome works best for printing, Firefox doesn't format quite right.

jantonuk

Post by jantonuk » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:09 am

Here's the reply from Sage:
From: Chris Vournazos [mailto:cvournazos.endec ] On Behalf Of Christopher Vournazos
Sent: Thursday, April 5, 2018 6:14 AM
To: Antonuk, John; support
Subject: Re: Canon Printer?

John, hello!
The ENDEC's embedded print driver is HP-specific, and supports most HP models via either USB or network. Your Canon device is not supported, and isn't likely to work.

If it happens to support printing via FTP, however, as some printers do, you can put its IP address in as the FTP server on the Email/FTP tab of your settings (just make sure you uncheck the "Send Audio" checkbox, as you don't want the printer to try to print an MP3 file).

The other thing to keep in mind is that, for EAS record-keeping purposes, you don't really need to print every alert receipt as they arrive - you can use any combination of the ENDEC's email or ftp capabilities, and you can also simply print your log week-at-a-time from the log page of the web interface.

Last edited by NECRAT on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Removed email addresses to prevent spamming to those addresses.

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:18 am

All of what Chris suggests works very well.

Some time back, I set up the Endecs I watch to FTP alerts to a server at my office. The FTP software routes the received alerts to a subfolder I keep for each station in my circuit. I do that mainly for backup and troubleshooting purposes, and because it works automatically in the background. The web log is more visually "interesting" though.

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:39 pm

Is there a requirement to actually print and store the EAS logs on paper?
I keep the Sage emails in weekly folders and keep a separate single-sheet "station log" to sign off on EAS, Tower lights, etc, but don't attach the sage alerts to that log. They are archived in the "EAS" email account.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:58 am

ChuckG wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:39 pm
Is there a requirement to actually print and store the EAS logs on paper?
I keep the Sage emails in weekly folders and keep a separate single-sheet "station log" to sign off on EAS, Tower lights, etc, but don't attach the sage alerts to that log. They are archived in the "EAS" email account.
None that I know of. You do have to be able to produce a specific test or date range on demand but as far as I know there is absolutely no specific format requirement.

I absolutely do not rely on the Endec/DasDec/whatever internal log for long term storage. They do sometimes go nuts and wipe memory or get hit by lightning.

I have filters set up in my device gmail acct to sort by station and event and label with different colors. RWTs get a light red color for RX, darker for TX. RMT's get a light green color for RX and darker for TX. WX gets nothing. CAP alerts get a yellow label. Transmitter alert emails get filtered out to a folder specific for them. A quick scan thru the individual station or alert type folders tell me if a station missed a required alert.

You can setup custom color combinations of background and text.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

bill981

Post by bill981 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:23 pm

I keep a weekly paper station log that includes EAS. The entries are based on the emails I get from the ENDEC. Then, at the end of each month, I print the ENDEC log for the month and put it in the log binder with the weekly sheets. New ones go to the end, and the top one (which is now two years old, and not required to be kept) goes to the "hidden" file, somewhere in the office. My week starts on Sunday, and each Monday I "review" and sign/date the previous week's log.