Sage Digital Endec logging best practices

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
kyerlasswell

Sage Digital Endec logging best practices

Post by kyerlasswell » Mon May 27, 2019 2:28 pm

I've recently been promoted into an engineer position after some ownership changes at our radio station and get the opportunity to fix some of the messes that have piled up over the years.

I'm curious as to how you guys store, manage and backup your EAS logs. Right now, our station's EAS logs are only kept on the flash memory of the Sage Digital Endec which I absolutely do not like since there's no redundancy. As I'm slowly learning about this device, I've seen that email and FTP are possibilities. I've tried to use email which seems like a good solution if I set up filters, but we have G-Suite which has been giving me problems. When I went to set it up, I got sent a "Critical Security Alert" email because apparently, Google considers the Sage a "less secure device". Do any of you have any experience with this? Should I just use FTP or another solution?

radio_guru

Re: Sage Digital Endec logging best practices

Post by radio_guru » Mon May 27, 2019 9:27 pm

Our practice, vetted by counsel, is to just print that week's activity and then simply attach that printed document to the Station Log. Nothing more needed. Don't over think the matter. You don't even need to manually enter the date/time. The activity log when attached becomes part of the Station Log and contains all that information. The only manual entries are when there are problems. Even then, that's an email note also attached to the Station Log.

It's that simple....

Your first mission after settling on the log should be to verify the firmware is the latest... And don't use Chrome. I found the ESet programming software works best with Windows 7.

Good luck and let us know of your success.

RG

Shane

Post by Shane » Mon May 27, 2019 10:50 pm

Think I saw this elsewhere: G-suite and Gmail won’t work with the Sage units. Or Broadcast Tools but that’s another thread.

Regarding the paper logs, that’s what I’ve always done. Pretty much in the same way.
Even then, that's an email note also attached to the Station Log.
Now I had not thought of doing manual entries like that. Learn something new here every day!
Mike Shane, CBRE
-Omaha-

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Tue May 28, 2019 6:47 am

Like RG and Mike, we print the ENDEC activity log every week and add it to that week's transmitter logs. We also have a weekly summary sheet for the operators to note the week's daily tower light observations, verify that outgoing EAS tests actually made air, and so forth -- and there is room to explain discrepancies and log maintenance. The chief engineer signs the summary sheet after checking over the various paperwork to make sure everything is complete and that any variances have been dealt with (e.g., not receiving EAS tests from monitored stations). The whole weekly batch goes in a manilla envelope and stuck in the front of the file cabinet drawer; every month the oldest batch of envelopes in the back of the drawer goes in the trash, so we automatically keep the logs for whatever period of time is required (I don't remember the number offhand).

Jeff

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Tue May 28, 2019 10:33 am

Shane wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 10:50 pm
Think I saw this elsewhere: G-suite and Gmail won’t work with the Sage units. Or Broadcast Tools but that’s another thread.

Regarding the paper logs, that’s what I’ve always done. Pretty much in the same way.

Sage works well with Gmail. I have a bunch doing it with less secure devices (IIRC) set on the send account. BT will not work thru Gmail.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Tue May 28, 2019 10:40 am

kyerlasswell wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 2:28 pm

I'm curious as to how you guys store, manage and backup your EAS logs. Right now, our station's EAS logs are only kept on the flash memory of the Sage Digital Endec which I absolutely do not like since there's no redundancy.
I firmly agree that you should never depend on the internal memory. I have had more than one Sage scattered by lightning that was unrecoverable.

In the past, we setup an EAS send account on gmail for Sages where the alerts would be archived as sent email and then send them to a number of interested parties (myself included).

Now I typically setup a SMTP2Go account that seems to work well with every device EXCEPT some DasDec units...

I have not used the FTP function other than to send alerts to Alabama Broadcast Associations FTP server. FTP would probably be much easier to filter and categorize than email.

I have almost every EAS unit that I maintain set to send me a copy of all alerts and errors. In my xxxxxdevices@gmail.com account (only used for EAS/TX/device messages) I have filters to separate out clients and types of alerts.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Tue May 28, 2019 5:07 pm

I have a few Sage Endec boxes doing GMail with no issues. The key step is in the backbone of GMail's security settings, you need to set the "allow less secure devices" to be enabled on the GMail account. Now one thing I have noticed, I think it depends on your network's security setting is, in ENDECset, on one of the stations using the box, I had to have the use STARTTLS if available turned on, but on another I did not.

No warnings, no issues, and the logs are sent easily.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"