Gotta love Westwood One

FM does it with frequency!
ncradioeng

Re: Gotta love Westwood One

Post by ncradioeng » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:37 am

Ah yes, the infamous "Wone Cue". I also have an official CBS Radio NetAlert test record for troubleshooting their decoders.
awsherrill wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 3:50 pm
Back in the "bee-doop" cue tone days of Westwood One, they used to sell an all-in-one tone decoder. It would handle bee-doops, DTMF, subaudible tones, NBC cue tones, dog whistles... 8)

I put one of those on an automated all-sports station, only to find it would trigger on things like ref whistles and shoe squeaks on hardwood.

n8rat

Re: Gotta love Westwood One

Post by n8rat » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:34 am

This would have been a Max receiver at the time. I guess they were using some kind of sub-audible system (presumably 25/35) at the time somewhere in the audio chain that triggered the Max's End of Game relay. This happened to hundreds of stations across the country. Since we were totally automated & all of our staff was watching on television, nobody caught it until the next day when the GM fielded several calls about not airing the game and asked me to look into it. After a couple of minutes digging through the automation I found the smoking gun. After a rather terse call to Westwood, that was the excuse I was given by their techs...smh.