Quick STL Question

FM does it with frequency!
mbrockm

Quick STL Question

Post by mbrockm » Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:04 am

KSOM is having Marti STL signal problems on one station. I suspect they need to be recap, pots cleaned, and tuned up. I have used J Squared in the past for Marti repairs. Are they still in business and the best option?
Mark Brockmeyer
Mark Brockmeyer
KMA Engineering

rfn

Re: Quick STL Question

Post by rfn » Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:18 am

Funny the call-letter similarity..... I recently have had several Marti units reworked for KNOM. Some using Broadcast Electronics. I had been cautioned that they were expensive and took a long time but was very pleasantly surprised at how quick and how moderate in cost.

Recently I had an STL unit reworked by a smaller company whose name I can't remember (I'm over 1,000 miles away from where I could find the paperwork and the only person who could look it up for me is on vacation). The owner of that company posts on this board quite often and I'm hoping he'll pick up on this and get back to you. I want to say Mike........ but can't be sure just now. In any case, he did a nice job in quite a reasonable time and at a fair price. He pointed out a design defect in the original Marti product and corrected it. Very well pleased with both but if I have to do it again I'll go with "Mike"......I like to support small business!

TPT

Post by TPT » Fri Sep 06, 2019 1:22 pm

Bohn Broadcast will work on Marti products. There is also Mike Patton in Baton Rouge for other brands.

rfn

Post by rfn » Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:32 pm

Thanks for the reminder....it was Mike Patton who overhauled the STL transmitter for KNOM. Quick turnaround and beautiful workmanship. The 10+ (perhaps 20?) old transmitter humming along better than new.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:22 pm

Keep in mind that a lot of the older Marti and other STL transmitters use RF modules that are unobtainium. Often another available module will work at lower power but I haven't had real good luck long term with those conversions.

Additionally, some of the Marti receivers have VCO (IIRC) modules that are either unobtainium or very near.

Good luck,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

DaveSt

Post by DaveSt » Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:13 am

kkiddkkidd wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:22 pm
Keep in mind that a lot of the older Marti and other STL transmitters use RF modules that are unobtainium. Often another available module will work at lower power but I haven't had real good luck long term with those conversions.

Additionally, some of the Marti receivers have VCO (IIRC) modules that are either unobtainium or very near.

Good luck,
A very good point. It is worth having a look to see what RF module is used and do a search on Ebay or setup a saved search. They do appear sometimes and it is worth having on the shelf.

mbrockm

Post by mbrockm » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:19 am

Thanks for the info. Then are going to use Bohn.
Mark Brockmeyer
KMA Engineering