Nautel NV20 repair/restoration

FM does it with frequency!
Deep Thought

Re: Nautel NV20 repair/restoration

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Nov 06, 2017 12:05 pm

That was...amazing.

Not to be a Nosy Nellie, but what value would you put on this repair? I know it'll be significantly less than what a new transmitter costs, but I collect these figures for insurance estimation purposes during post-mortem inspections.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

davek

Post by davek » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:20 am

DeepThought: have sent you a PM.

I agree that a full schematic of the Tectrol power supply would have been a great help, but not having one was not much of a hindrance in the end.

In these situations I like to identify all the major semiconductors and hunt down the data sheets and application notes. Often a data sheet or application note contains an example circuit, and sometimes it's quite similar to what's on the PCB.

For example, reading through the application note for designing a power factor correction circuit using the same IC in the Tectrol supply gave me a good idea of what voltages to expect on certain pins. Same can be said for the main PWM controller, or for the auxiliary power supply used to run the fan and other control circuits.

It's more fun this way, too :lol:

tonydinkel

Post by tonydinkel » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 pm

Great story! I am responsible for 5 NV series transmitters in the Las Vegas Nevada area. I am putting this thread in my reference file. Thank you very much for telling this story and please keep us up to date.

Tony Dinkel
Entercom Las Vegas
Formally CBS Radio Las Vegas

RFWarrior

Post by RFWarrior » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:19 am

tonydinkel wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:14 pm
I am putting this thread in my reference file.
For anybody with an interest, with Dave's permission, I copied his entire series of posts into my last Tips N Tricks article in our Waves newsletter - this was one of the most informative discussions on repair and restoration that I've seen in a long time. It's archived on our website now, if you go to Support and Tips N Tricks (or just click here). (edited 11 December 2017 to fix the broken link)

Thanks again, davek!
Last edited by RFWarrior on Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff Welton, CBRE
Regional Sales Manager - Central U.S.
Nautel
Toll free: 1-877-662-8835, ext. 5127
Halifax Number: 902-823-5127
Quincy Number: 217-919-0189
Cell: 902-489-1635
jwelton@nautel.com

davek

Post by davek » Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:27 am

It's now on air!
Although at only 3.2kW TPO it's like driving a high performance sports car at only 10MPH :lol:

TX-On.png

Also, here is the correct link to the article Jeff mentioned.