Tower needed

FM does it with frequency!
demwaves

Tower needed

Post by demwaves » Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:59 am

Good morning.
I have a four-bay antenna system weighing 50 kilogrammes and a wind load of 8 kilogrammes. Estimated wind-speed is 160 kilometers per hour (100 miles per hour)

What type of guyed tower system would you recommend?

What type of self-supporting tower would you recommend?

Please help me.

Regards.
Denis.

Kelly

Re: Tower needed

Post by Kelly » Wed Sep 20, 2017 9:29 am

It boils down to a tower designed for the weight and wind loading characteristics for the environment it will be located. For example; a tower located in the desert near sea level with light winds will require less structural elements than a tower atop a 4,000ft mountain top site with freezing fog or high ice load. What is the expectation for other antennas also on the tower? A lot of things to consider, so if you're looking for a brand and model number, you're looking in the wrong direction.

Most tower companies have mechanical engineers who can help you determine the best structural design for your location.

COMMENG

Post by COMMENG » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:28 pm

I would contact this Group:

https://natehome.com/

and find out which erector company would be closest to your location.

The tower company engineer helps you with permitting, siting, FAA regulations, environmental impact statements, FCC regulations, material procurement, etc.

The last time I had tower work done for a customer two of the three climbers were female and were hilarious. They wanted me to go to the local hamburger place and get some lunch AND bring it up to them. :lol:

You might also want to investigate renting on a current tower. I had an AM customer that needed a tower for an FM translator and we found a 400 foot self-supporting tower in the middle of our coverage area which also had a large equipment building at its base.

COMMENG

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:49 pm

Probably won't help him much. He's not in the United States.
COMMENG wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:28 pm
I would contact this Group:

https://natehome.com/

and find out which erector company would be closest to your location.

The tower company engineer helps you with permitting, siting, FAA regulations, environmental impact statements, FCC regulations, material procurement, etc.

The last time I had tower work done for a customer two of the three climbers were female and were hilarious. They wanted me to go to the local hamburger place and get some lunch AND bring it up to them. :lol:

You might also want to investigate renting on a current tower. I had an AM customer that needed a tower for an FM translator and we found a 400 foot self-supporting tower in the middle of our coverage area which also had a large equipment building at its base.

COMMENG
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

arthur62

Post by arthur62 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:34 pm

I would hire an engineer who specializes in tower construction for Radio broadcasting. It will be money well spent. There are are a lot of factors to consider. Personally I don't care much for these so called self supporting towers. They are really not structurally strong and climbers usually hate working on them. I would go with full steel tube frame type tower. Most are triangular so the guys will come off at 3 points with torsion bars. Usually their is 2 guy lines per side. Then they have to be anchored into the ground with a cement block so you put the necessary pressure on the lines to keep the tower from falling over and twisting under wind load. This one area of the operation that is not easily fixable if things go horribly bad after the tower fails in some way because it was done wrong.

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:28 am

Translation needed? I assume by "cement block" you mean a block of cement in the ground--not a couple of masonry blocks like you would use to build a building?

Part of the tower design usually specifies the size of the guy anchor system, which consists of a steel rod with a closed loop where the wire rope guy anchors are attached. The guy anchor is inserted into reinforced concrete poured in a hole in the ground. For a small tower, this may be a a meter square and a meter and half deep.

Then again, there was the 30 meter tower I saw at the top of East Mountain near Bluefield, WV. The guy anchors were mounted in blocks of concrete sitting on top of the bare rock top of the mountain. Fascinating.

From your use of metric terms I assume you are outside the U.S., as others have suggested, find out who builds towers in your area. Customs duties and shipping may have more influence on the final design and choice of tower manufacturer.

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:48 am

arthur62 wrote:
Tue Apr 17, 2018 12:34 pm
Personally I don't care much for these so called self supporting towers. They are really not structurally strong and climbers usually hate working on them.
??? I have had self-supporting Pi-Rod towers installed. With their solid steel legs thay are plenty strong. I prefer solid leg towers to hollow leg towers. If a weep hole on a hollow leg tower plugs up you will have problems. See this example.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html