Singling out 2 stations on same frequency

FM does it with frequency!
arthur62

Re: Singling out 2 stations on same frequency

Post by arthur62 » Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:15 am

FM signals can travel far beyond the expected range of whatever the power level of the Transmitter is especially over water. Up here in Canada this sort of thing never happens. The CRTC makes sure that the use of the same frequency is so far spaced out they will never be able to reach each other on the same receiver. It's highly regulated up here.

Kona

Post by Kona » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:16 am

Touching base on the subject. I was working on my truck today (replacing and relearn process of the PCM) and flipped the radio on while I was waiting for the process to complete. I was able to tune in to the station from Norfolk today. I was able to get a very good signal for about half a minute. I wasn't able to record that because every time I pick my phone up it causes interference, but I did manage to get something audible at least for proof.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2ly7XTqKzY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX_xEIIlpME

I may try going up in the attic and playing with the directional if it's not brain-frying hot.

Shane

Post by Shane » Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:35 pm

Posting your location gives us a bit more detail on this situation, primarily the fact that the path between you and Norfolk is almost entirely over or nearly over Chesapeake Bay. This tells us the propagation method is probably what we call enhanced tropo.

Over water, (over land, too, but a water path tends to be stronger) the troposphere will often form a pipe for radio signals, primarily those in the VHF range. Sometimes this is called tropospheric ducting.

So you probably should be able to hear this Norfolk station a lot. Just not necessarily when you want it.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---