Nautel V15 GE power supply failure

FM does it with frequency!
arthur62

Nautel V15 GE power supply failure

Post by arthur62 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:42 am

We are having a lot of issues with the GE power supplies in a Nautel V15 Transmitter. The transmitter has only been in operation for about 4 years now and so far we have had 6 power supplies fail. The model number of the Power supply is GE model CP2725ACLRTEZ. It looks to me like all the power supplies in this unit came out of a bad batch so I'm wondering if anyone else out there has had a similar experience with these power supplies.

Deep Thought

Re: Nautel V15 GE power supply failure

Post by Deep Thought » Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:23 am

They had a very high failure rate and were replacing them under warranty. Have you called?
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

arthur62

Post by arthur62 » Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:18 pm

We have had some replaced under warranty but that is now up so now Nautel is trying to blame it on our power configuration when they have already admitted that this particular power supply was replaced for a more robust version which is just another way of saying the other ones were defective. Would be nice to get a schematic for this power supply if that's possible. Nautel charges about 700 dollars for one of these.

Jim Sofonia

Post by Jim Sofonia » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:39 am

I've had that answer from the best of companies, just depends who you get on the phone. They will go down the list of everything that you could possibly do wrong. Never offering something that is on their side of the fence.

RFWarrior

Post by RFWarrior » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:01 am

Deep Thought wrote:
Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:23 am
They had a very high failure rate and were replacing them under warranty. Have you called?
Some rumors never die...

We had a high failure rate with earlier TECTROL/CUI supplies used in the NV series. The failure rate with the GE/Lineage supplies used in the GV and NVLT series has historically been less than 1/10th of what it was for the Tectrols. That said, it's always possible we got a bad batch or something - but the service folks are usually on top of that stuff and we do tend to own it if we think it could have been bad leaving the factory.

I suspect they're going by what we see in the field - as a rule, if there are high failure rates, especially in switching supplies, it comes back to site grounding. Not always, but the vast majority of the time. I can provide an extreme example - a site that I got called to that was losing a supply or two a month... went there, found some grounding issues, now they're down to a supply or two every 5 years. Yet they were sure the grounding was done properly - and at first glance, it looked good.

So yes, it is always possible there is a bad batch - but you'd have lost all 16 supplies in the first year or two if that were the case. So, most likely, what's happening is one of two things - surge energy is spiking ground potential high and the path through the supplies to the AC line is low enough resistance, relative to actual lightning grounding/surge protection, that it's seeing more current than it should; or airflow in the room is such that the air intake for the supplies (front of the transmitter, not the rear) is running negative pressure and they're getting too warm.

If all else fails, you can certainly feel free to ping me and I'll dig into it in much more detail - if you're in the central U.S., I'm not above swinging by for a site inspection whenever I happen to be passing nearby, either... I'll even buy lunch. :)
Jeff Welton, CBRE
Regional Sales Manager - Central U.S.
Nautel
Toll free: 1-877-662-8835, ext. 5127
Halifax Number: 902-823-5127
Quincy Number: 217-919-0189
Cell: 902-489-1635
jwelton@nautel.com