Pira 132 best practice

FM does it with frequency!
grich

Pira 132 best practice

Post by grich » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:58 pm

In all these years, I never had a request to install RDS encoders at a station. That changed recently, and the station bought a Pira 132.

It's not yet in the air chain, but is getting data from the Skylla automation, so I'm OK so far. Song data is scrolling across the status window, along with the call letters.

Is there anything I should adjust in the RDS setup beyond the defaults?

I have to break the composite line to the STL and loop it through the Pira because this station is still using an Optimod 8000/Audio Prism processing chain...that's the last step in the process. I've already backed off the RDS level from the default 4 volts. :wink:

Lee_Wheeler

Re: Pira 132 best practice

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:32 pm

They are all pretty much the same. Just loop it though and set the modulation and injection levels. On a loop through it should automatically phase lock. Obviously morning drive is a bad time to do it. I'm guessing that you aren't going to send out song and artist data and just scroll the station identifier so you don't have all of the middleware setup issues.

As far as injection goes I am always careful to set it below the pilot. Some of the older radios (some Sonys as I recall) had trouble with wanting to lock the 57 kHz as the pilot if the injection level was above the 19 kHz. I typically run them at about 7%.

...Lee

grich

Post by grich » Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:19 pm

Lee_Wheeler wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:32 pm
...I'm guessing that you aren't going to send out song and artist data and just scroll the station identifier so you don't have all of the middleware setup issues...
Actually, the owner wants song title/artist...that's specifically why he bought it. The setup issues are what I'm worried about. Injection and modulation levels are the easy part.

Joe Friday

Post by Joe Friday » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:21 am

The Skylla automation has a very good RDS interface. And I believe their support folks would be willing to make custom tweaks if necessary to work with your new encoder. I have a group that uses BW Broadcast RDS encoders. I sent them the manual pages that refer to the specific commands for these boxes, and they added the BW units to the list of supported encoders in Skylla.

I have a Pira 332 unit on order as a test for the same client in another market that will be used with Skylla as well. They look like nice units, and are certainly cost effective. Good luck!

Kevin

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:00 am

I've installed a number of Pira RDS's in the past, they are very capable units, only thing the units costing 5 times more do is have a metal box and internal power supply.......

as long as your Automation can send something like

"RT=[Title] by [ARTIST]" over serial or TCP/UDP you are good to go. there is also a handy setting that will duplicate the radiotext to a scrolling PS. Ill stay out of the debate on whether you should do that or not.....only other things to note are the settings for word parsing.

I've been fortunate to never need to use any Middleware to get usable RDS data to my encoders using RCS NexGen, ENCO DAD, or WideOrbit automation systems.

grich

Post by grich » Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:01 pm

Nathaniel Steele wrote:
Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:00 am
I've installed a number of Pira RDS's in the past, they are very capable units, only thing the units costing 5 times more do is have a metal box and internal power supply.......

as long as your Automation can send something like

"RT=[Title] by [ARTIST]" over serial or TCP/UDP you are good to go. there is also a handy setting that will duplicate the radiotext to a scrolling PS. Ill stay out of the debate on whether you should do that or not.....only other things to note are the settings for word parsing.

I've been fortunate to never need to use any Middleware to get usable RDS data to my encoders using RCS NexGen, ENCO DAD, or WideOrbit automation systems.
That's what I did. The PD liked the word parsing option. It's working and they're happy!

Thanks,

Gregg