Optimod 2200

FM does it with frequency!
ChuckG

Optimod 2200

Post by ChuckG »

Is misbehaving.
Runs fine for days...but at some point the input, output and composite meters all pin full scale.
When this happens the audio becomes very distorted.

Removing audio input, the meters remain pinned full scale.
Switching to "bypass" cleans up the audio, but does not unpin the metering.
Unplugging the AC cord resets everything and it's good again for several days.

I've replaced the input, buffer and output op amps and re-capped the power supply. No change.
Something is putting DC somewhere it does not belong, but I'm not finding it. I've scoped every bit of the analog path and don't see it.

Anyone have something similar with one of these boxes?
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin
www.northwoodstech.com

grich

Re: Optimod 2200

Post by grich »

I had this happen once with a 2200 at a site with poor AC power regulation. I rebooted the unit to fix it, then put it on a UPS. No more troubles.

I have another 2200 at a different site that I haven't had an issue with, but I also put it on a UPS as a precaution.

DaveSt

Post by DaveSt »

The A/D and D/A converters can cause problems on these older Orban products. Usually they just die, but what you describe is possible. You can find them on Ebay or I think Orban will still repair these units. The 2200's are still well worth repairing. Personally I think they were the best processor ever made.

Shane

Post by Shane »

Had this problem on a different Optimod AM product but 6 months to a year between incidents. And there were quite a few years before this started - perhaps pointing to caps. It hadn’t happened often enough to be able to ‘shoot it before I left the building. Power reset took care of it. I don’t remember what the meters were showing.

This site has a wild leg on the power feed and occasional troubles with lightning but could not draw any conclusion from the events.

When this happened the immediate temporary solution was to put the auxiliary on. It’s fed by a completely separate chain of processing.
Mike Shane, CBRE
— — Omaha — —

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG »

Just as a follow up to this, replacing the voltage regulators appears to have fixed it. Guess that should be a standard replacement item with bad caps.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin
www.northwoodstech.com

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT »

They are very very nice sounding boxes. My college FM has one, and they sound great. Competitive and full.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer/Tower Photographer
Boston area.
https://www.necrat.us, https://www.scan-ne.net/

"If you don’t think you’re good, nobody else will" - Tom Laun (RIP)."

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook »

ChuckG wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:38 pm
Just as a follow up to this, replacing the voltage regulators appears to have fixed it. Guess that should be a standard replacement item with bad caps.
I have found damaged 3-terminal regulators in some instances where I had already found bad filter caps, so that is a good catch. My SOP is now to check every power supply thoroughly after a repair to see if anything else in that supply is bad or questionable.
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html