National EAS Test

FM does it with frequency!
jthorusen

National EAS Test

Post by jthorusen » Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:56 pm

Moderator: I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the FCC board; if inappropriate, please move.

Well.... we made it. A successful national EAS test performance by KWPB-LP. (First time.)

How did it go for the rest of y'all?

Regards,
James K. (Jim) Thorusen
KB6GM
Central Coast Electronics
www.centcoast.com
NW Oregon Consulting Bdcst Eng.

radiowave911

Re: National EAS Test

Post by radiowave911 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:11 pm

Our LP1 (which is the NPR station for our area) never received the test, so we never received the test. Same for every station in our area. Of course, the LP2 monitors the LP1. Forms 2 and 3 have been successfully filed reflecting the same.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:35 am

To me, it was notable how fast the audio quality fell apart, as it daisy-chained from the PEP. The stations I had that picked up the alert from the PEP sounded pretty good, though the noise level was higher on AM. On FM, it was nearly comparable to the former internet-based feeds. After that, it seemed the jump from a PEP to a LP seemed to have a dramatic effect. Quality went down and noise came up. In a few cases, it was difficult to hear the message at all. NOAA-based feeds sounded like long-distance calls from the 70's, but were otherwise listenable.

Another factor was how the stations set levels in their endecs and processed their audio, as it passed down the line. If a PEP with aggressive processing was received by a rock station with massive clipping and an overloaded Endec, which then passed the audio down to another station that similarly butchered its audio, the result was barely-intelligible mush.

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:26 am

I was working at the bench listening to the Mets game on WCBS/880. It seemed an odd time for an EAS test but it sounded like almost every other EAS test I've heard, just a bit longer and with tons of compression and increased noise level, as if it had been repeated and processed several times, not locally originated. Once it finished, the game announcers mentioned it was a national test and they apologized for the interruption and brought us up-to-date on the game progress. It was only at that point that I realized "Oh yeah, the national EAS test for August 7th; that's today. Big deal."

I guess it depended on how far down the chain the station was. I'm sure WCBS is a primary EAS station but the message obviously didn't originate from their studio.

They really should attempt a REAL test of the system, originating and live from the Oval Office.

Bob M.

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:32 am

Two of my three stations received the test--but it was distorted and noisy. Almost unintelligible. Those stations monitor two FM relays, from different areas, the other relay didn't get the test. Need to check a H.S. school station today to see why they didn't get the test--suspect it may be the header was too distorted to decode. They monitor the same station where I got the test, but signal weaker at their location.

The other station just monitored that second FM relay, which apparently could not get their monitored stations. Will be checking this morning.
Have another station in a different state--didn't get the test either, found very low signal from the FM relay they monitor--probably tuner problem. However, the FM relay above also monitors that second state FM relay. Something I'll find out in a few minutes.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:57 am

Most of my clients that I monitor closely received and retransmitted the test successfully. The audio was unintelligible or missing for about 30%, just OK on about 50% and decent to good on about 25% (I said ABOUT). One station had some lightning damage the night before and missed the test and another that I don't monitor had ALL of their EAS receivers tuned to their own frequencies...

The odd thing was that a couple of stations that have chronic low PEP/LP signal issues seemed to have the best recorded audio.

Later,
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:09 am

No audio message at all in SE WI.
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:27 am

I was driving home from North Carolina when the test rollled. Was listening to SiriusXM at the time and noticed the tones and EOM were fine, but the message audio was pretty distorted. It was intelligible I suppose, but I'm used to picking audio out of white noise, so someone who was paying less attention, may have struggled.

SXM has one Sage unit with an Internet connection, plus monitoring for the local Washington DC LP-1 (WTOP). Not sure which source was broadcasted.

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:08 am

Our Syracuse hub had about 50% success: our station and two others received and relayed the test flawlessly. In three other markets neither LP send the test, so we had nothing to relay. The interesting thing is that in every instance, we have been receiving RWTs and relaying RMTs with no problem.

This is essentially comparable outcome to the 2011 test, which demonstrated the serious shortcomings of station-to-station relays. Since nothing has really changed other than the addition of CAP/IPAWS, what purpose was served by essentially repeating the 2011 test?

:roll:

Jeff

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Thu Aug 08, 2019 10:10 am

Yeah, bucket brigades don't work too well if even one of the buckets is full of crap.

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:20 am

Checked the H.S. station that didn't get the test. Their SAGE is at the transmitter, school (and the studio) is in the valley, not enough signal & too much metal in the building to monitor anything.

Both tuners showed good signal, including the one I received a test from. Can't look at the Sage log--Microsoft destroyed the computer with an update, but manager has been hearing other alerts so the system is presumably working. My guess--from the quality of the test message I heard--is that the header was so corrupted by distortion it didn't decode.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:12 pm

Our college station monitors a LP1/PEP station, so it was pretty clear, and went out quickly. The other LP1 didn't fire off, until the first LP1 was 100% complete, where our Sage was already on the air halfway through, without any issue.

I did forget to actually "submit" form 1, I had apparently only saved it. So Forms 1, 2 and 3 all went in at once.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

TPT

Post by TPT » Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:10 pm

About 2/3 of the Form One's I filed earlier appeared--so I had to refile those in order to file the Form 2's. Some repopulated with the updated information I filed earlier, some were a year out of date, one simply vanished--had to start from scratch & fill everything in.

fjstuden

Post by fjstuden » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:18 am

Very poor audio on 1240 AM in Melbourne, FL. Drop outs, overmodulation, horrible distortion, etc. Embarrassing that this is what we get for millions spent by industry and government.

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:02 pm

fjstuden wrote:
Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:18 am
Very poor audio on 1240 AM in Melbourne, FL. Drop outs, overmodulation, horrible distortion, etc. Embarrassing that this is what we get for millions spent by industry and government.
I'm not sure this is a industry/government problem as much as it might be that we've become spoiled by the higher quality we get out of the CAP/IPAWS feeds. Add in the fact that, in many areas, there isn't anyone who will follow the path from station to station and encourage the respective owners and/or engineers to pay much attention to the analog stuff.

The point of this year's test was to validate the legacy infrastructure. Hence, there was no feed from the internet. ALL stations that successfully received, and passed whatever they did get, picked up their alerts from analog sources.

If you received your alert from a PEP (AM or FM), you were likely to get the cleanest audio. Possibly the satellite feeds were clean as well, but I don't have a client that gets them and I don't know how they get their feeds.

Beyond that, I think most of the carnage was the result of a system that was built when we were all running Sta-Levels and wideband limiters. Now, nearly everyone has their audio chopped up into enough pieces to bring even the lowest levels up to 100%+. If you get a nice, clean first-generation digital feed from the internet, you're OK. But cascade that analog feed through 2 or 3 similar stations and add in some poor reception or maybe a bit of overload at an endec input somewhere and it should be no surprise how it all sounded.

Remember what our production audio used to sound like when we tried overdubbing several generations of reel-to reel (or carts) or brought in cassette or 8-track audio? Good times, but somewhat similar to what happened here, I think.