optimod 2300 boots to blank screen

FM does it with frequency!
Nathaniel Steele

optimod 2300 boots to blank screen

Post by Nathaniel Steele »

Hello all, I was given an optimod 2300 a few years back and I have a use for it now but it powers up to a blank screen Actually there is a _ top left. passes no audio. Looks like it won't boot to me. is there a recovery procedure? maybe a dead internal battery? something else?

Anyone ever seen this?

thanks

Kelly

Re: optimod 2300 boots to blank screen

Post by Kelly »

That sounds like it's not even booting-up. Like anything else, many of the failures like this are power supply-related. Might be a dead +5V supply.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought »

There is a battery which is probably dead if it has been sitting around without power for years. IIRC it powers the internal time of day clock. The presets and firmware are in non-volatile flash memory but that has been known to be corrupted under certain conditions. Unfortunately it is not on a card and cannot be field-replaced.

Have you contacted Orban?
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Nathaniel Steele

Haven't contacted orban yet, Figured I'd see if I could get it going first...looks like it's time to pop the cover...well maybe next week anyway.

Thanks.

Nathaniel Steele

Heres What Orban service said (Verbatim):

"Storm corruption.
It will need to come here for service.
Usually runs $800"

Anyone have anyidea what they mean by "storm Corruption"? If theyrer just reflashing firmware, that sounds incredibly steep. IF theyr'e replacing EEPROMs or something, then It just sounds a little steep.....

I also don't like the sound of "Usually runs $800". I'm not really sure what the value of a 2300 is on the used market, maybe $1,500?

Bill DeFelice

Post by Bill DeFelice »

Remember, Orban Labs isn't the Orban we all once loved! If my last service runaround I got from DaySequerra (who now owns Orban) is any way to judge you may find it less of a hassle to just replace it with a Wheatstone or Omnia! They had an M2 monitor of mine for three months and it was still screwed up when I got it back. I also bought a basket-case M2 for parts to re-hab the first unit and when I attempted to get service documentation for this long discontinued device they wouldn't provide any info - and this was after speaking directly with David Day!

I'm no longer an Orban fan and once I get rid of my last 9100B I'm steering away from their products entirely. Looking at the 2017 copyright date on their website it's clear to me that their lack of attention to detail spans more than just their products.
Webmaster
History of Westport Connecticut Radio
The WMMM Tribute Site

CampusBroadcaster.net
Legal, low power, license-free broadcasting for educational institutions

Nathaniel Steele

Yeah I had a less than enjoyable experience with a faulty day sequerra HD tuner.... I almost forgot that theyr'e the same company now....

May just give up on this one. I've always liked omnia better myself anyway.....But I got into radio in the late 2000's.....

thanks!

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT »

Nathaniel Steele wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:12 am

May just give up on this one. I've always liked omnia better myself anyway.....But I got into radio in the late 2000's.....

thanks!
If you decide to shit can it, let me know ahead of time. I'll take it and even pay for shipping.

Thanks.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Nathaniel Steele

NECRAT wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:37 pm
Nathaniel Steele wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:12 am

thanks!
If you decide to shit can it, let me know ahead of time. I'll take it and even pay for shipping.

Thanks.

Do you know something I don't know, or do you just need some parts? Is it full of unobtanium IC's? I've yet to open it up and mess with it myself, not sure If I will. Either way If I decide I have no further use for it I'd be willing to help you out. Could be a fun side project to work on, but I rarely ever get to those fun side projects anymore...

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT »

Nathaniel Steele wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:13 pm

Do you know something I don't know, or do you just need some parts? Is it full of unobtanium IC's? I've yet to open it up and mess with it myself, not sure If I will. Either way If I decide I have no further use for it I'd be willing to help you out. Could be a fun side project to work on, but I rarely ever get to those fun side projects anymore...
I don't know anything about it, nor really have the time to futz with it, but I have a friend who collects audio processors, both living and dead, who would love to take it for his collection. He's donated many to small colleges/public groups who need audio procs after fixing them, or keeping them in his personal stash.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"