WBZ Boston has a slight problem during a power outage

Current events discussions relating to Broadcast Engineering
Baylink

WBZ Boston has a slight problem during a power outage

Post by Baylink »

They didn't go off air, though they did lose lights...

But someone plugged *something* in the audio chain into shore power by accident, some time. Can anyone tell what it was, by the sound? :-)

https://www.facebook.com/CBSBoston/post ... 9935237693

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: WBZ Boston has a slight problem during a power outage

Post by NECRAT »

http://boston.cbslocal.com/video/#.UAcqjCfPPtY.twitter here is a link to the actual video instead of WBZ's facebook page.

Also it is clear the audio rack (and the power for the HDSDI to HDMI converter for the "big screen") for the monitor were plugged directly into a non UPS backed source.
The converter came up quickly, but the logical audio device (either the wireless receiver piece or a audio bridge cage) took longer to boot.

Lightning struck the 300 foot AM aux tower that sits about 100 feet from the building.

Those storms reaked havok in this market. Just about every FM went off for some time, and we were on generator power at the transmitter for four hours, and the studios for about a half hour.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

rockmanac

Post by rockmanac »

NECRAT wrote:audio device (either the wireless receiver piece or a audio bridge cage) took longer to boot..
If they're anything like us, they probably have a computerized audio board that takes a minute or so to boot up. Though, I have no clue why it's not UPS'd. I'm pretty sure our entire control room and newsroom studio are.
Addie Chernow
Director, WCCO-TV
WWW - @chernowa - KC9JHY

Formerly:
OverDrive Operator, WKOW-TV
Director/Technical Director, WKOW-TV
Director/MCO, WREX-TV

w4cl

Post by w4cl »

At my station we are UPSed except for studio lights. We had a power loss a month or so back due to a storm and it hit during the weather segment (of course!). It was kinda strange since you could see this monitor we use at the Wx Desk for maps and such and the monitors in the back ground with maps and such on it and the rest of the scene was in black for 10 seconds as the generator cranked up and then the lights came back on. The anchors had a good chuckle and comments about that but we never went off the air. First time that has happened in many a year.

boiseengineer(old)

Post by boiseengineer(old) »

Those Luxo Swing-Arm lamps work good in the studios. Stick an LED lamp in them & the UPS won't complain.
They can use them for mood lighting!

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT »

rockmanac wrote:
NECRAT wrote:audio device (either the wireless receiver piece or a audio bridge cage) took longer to boot..
If they're anything like us, they probably have a computerized audio board that takes a minute or so to boot up. Though, I have no clue why it's not UPS'd. I'm pretty sure our entire control room and newsroom studio are.
The board is UPSed, however there is a piece of audio gear in the studio, not on UPS (bridge cage, wireless receiver). Our wireless receivers take about that long to boot from off.

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT »

w4cl wrote:At my station we are UPSed except for studio lights. We had a power loss a month or so back due to a storm and it hit during the weather segment (of course!). It was kinda strange since you could see this monitor we use at the Wx Desk for maps and such and the monitors in the back ground with maps and such on it and the rest of the scene was in black for 10 seconds as the generator cranked up and then the lights came back on. The anchors had a good chuckle and comments about that but we never went off the air. First time that has happened in many a year.
We had this happen at my old station, except the prompter monitors were also not on UPS. (They were fed from a studio accessory circuit which came off the lighting sub-panel, which had no UPS), so the talent had nothing to read. The studio went dark , the talent said "and... I think we're off the air". The policy was made at that moment to roll the break upon a power failure. The automation system is also UPS backed up and hope to god the generator starts.

The place I work now, we have a remote UPS and generator panels next to the engineering shop. You can hear when the UPS has "fired" (it comes on as a battery fault, for some odd reason, despite the fact there is no actual battery fault, just a loss of incoming DC.) as well as when the Generator has fired.

The biggest issue is trying to get the generator on remote control system, as the electricians never pulled any alarm wiring through the conduits to the gen-set.
I get a text message when the transmitter goes to generator, but we need to have the studio do the same thing.