ASI Card AES cable

Nathaniel Steele

ASI Card AES cable

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:04 pm

Anyone know of an el-cheapo solution? I've got ASI 6514 cards and I want to use the Digital outputs instead of the analog. I don't have BOBs for these, and don't really want to buy 10 cable sets at $100 or so a set....I'd be happy with some cat 5e/6 cable and a breakout for the mini 26pin connector, but I can't find any breakouts off the shelf....I Don't need XLR's.....Literally that connector to 6-10' of cable would be fine.

Thanks

kkiddkkidd

Re: ASI Card AES cable

Post by kkiddkkidd » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:55 am

Once upon a time the high end ASI cards came with those high density connectors but my goodness it would take a bizillion power magnifying glass to solder them. IIRC, they were similar to a high density SCSI connector.

You might try StudioHub / Radio Systems or see if ASI can supply the bare connectors or a part number.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

Shane

Post by Shane » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:30 am

Or...as I wrote on another forum...you can take solid wire pairs like that used on punch blocks, strip the ends and poke them into the jack. Works on the analog in/out; don’t know if it would on the digital I/Os. Just a temporary solution, of course, but it’s a perfect fit even though you’re putting a round peg into a square hole!

(I didn’t want to buy the cable either. Needed audio in a hurry so this was a quick fix.)
Attachments
20B7F7A7-70A9-4BC3-B55A-DA1528A28B41.jpeg
Finding the right pair is the big challenge.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:12 pm

Someone on another forum was kind enought to send me 9 cables for the cost of shipping. these have the 26 pin connector on one end and a regular 15 pin D-SUB on the other, similar to the analog cables on our current nexgen which were custom made by RCS/Prophet when it was installed. I can wire a mate to that, yes I agree it would be hard to solder the original connector (Though I do have a metcal with SMD tips and a stereo zoom microscope....)

Studiohub just has their version of the BOB for my particular card so no luck there. The connector is called, (I believe) A Half Pitch D-Sub 26 pins (the analog is 50 pins). It is similar but not the same as the VHDI scsi cables, or the half pitch mini centronics, but these are all different as far as i can tell. I could find breakout boards that had the mating connector to screw terminals for the 50 Pin, but no luck for the 26.