Arbitron/Neilsen Encoders

dd92251

Arbitron/Neilsen Encoders

Post by dd92251 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:31 pm

Does anyone know if there is a "Contract" between Neilsen and the radio station to have these units in line ? I had someone tell me that a Contract exists and they cant be removed, ...I've never heard that before.

This station that I'm dealing with has never shown up in the ratings... isnt subscribing to the Ratings book...and runs brokered foreign language....and doesn't cover the market.

I just need some rack space and want to take them out. :D

Deep Thought

Re: Arbitron/Neilsen Encoders

Post by Deep Thought » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:26 pm

Turn it off...once they call you (it'll happen pretty fast) you can ask. :mrgreen:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:23 am

I was in a similar situation once, with a translator. I pulled them, set them next to the rack, and AFAIK they're still setting next to the rack. only difference was it was a religious NCE station. I'm really not even sure WHY they had them in the first place.....

AFAIK NO-one ever called to ask about them, and I'm pretty sure there was no contract (perhaps other than one saying that the equipment belongs to nielson), there was certainly no money in play.

radio_guru

Post by radio_guru » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 am

As a group owner in PPM measured markets, there is a contract for the issuance and use of the equipment. It's mostly boilerplate with the station agreeing the equipment ownership always remains with "the company," to abide by the rule, and to not reverse engineer the processes involved. The contract was issued to the station when the equipment was first delivered in 2008 or 2009 +/-. After that, it trails to all subsequent owners.

The original intent of having all stations in a given market encoded was to insure all the stations were being measured in some manner regardless of whether the station was a paying client. This was critical when Arbitron was negotiating with the accreditation organizations to gain "currency". Today, I get the occasional query from them to check the encoders a a result of a monitoring notification or some other notice. So Nielsen is paying attention. The question is at which point do they not consider it an issue for a given station. We'll never know as we always encode despite the fact we will not pay the extraordinary fees they want to subscribe.

RG

Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:21 pm

Oddly enough I got one of those emails asking me to check that the lights were green on one of my stations later the day I posted my previous comment. Of Course the stations I work for now DO penetrate a rated market and (I Believe) DO pay for the books, So I make sure they are always encoded. I'm sure it was a coincidence....