XDS PAD Data

tonybroom

XDS PAD Data

Post by tonybroom »

Anyone have any experience grabbing now playing data from an XDS receiver via UDP?

I'm able to see, example below, this data coming across Premiere for Delilah but there doesn't seem to be anything or any delimiting characters to separate where the title ends, artist, album, run time etc.. not sure if I'm losing something in the test program I threw together but the CF+LF at the end of each transmission is working so think I'm reading the data from the port correctly.

CHEAP THRILLSSia This Is Acting [Deluxe]00:03:25.670
A SKY FULL OF STARS (Radio Edit)Coldplay Ghost Stories00:03:55.950
LOVE MYSELFTracee Ellis Ross 00:03:20.070
HEAVEN IS A PLACE ON EARTHBelinda Carlisle Her Greatest Hits00:04:00.380

Waiting to hear back from Premiere but wondered if anyone else might be processing/reformatting XDS info. Not sure if this data is consistent for all shows/XDS PAD info.

Thanks
davek

Re: XDS PAD Data

Post by davek »

Have you tried making a packet capture with Wireshark? Just a wild guess but maybe there is a header packet (or bytes) which indicate how many characters there are for artist and title.
tonybroom

Post by tonybroom »

I haven't tried capturing with Wireshark but I'm capturing the raw UDP data and there doesn't seem to be anything else that comes along with it. Might be worth checking with Wireshark though...

Based on what I'm seeing in a WW1 example they are sending ; between fields so I'm guessing this is just how Premiere or the Delilah automation is sending their info. I can't imagine is being used usefully by anyone so maybe I can get them to change it.

Premiere folks keep telling me to check my baud rate despite telling them I'm grabbing the data via UDP. Even if using 232 I'm not sure why they'd expect an incorrect baud rate would just drop delimiting characters.

Going to capture the data from Josh Tesh tonight and see how it's being formatted from them.
radiowave911

Post by radiowave911 »

tonybroom wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:33 pm ...I'm not sure why they'd expect an incorrect baud rate would just drop delimiting characters.
I know exactly why. Their script tells them to say that. Unfortunately most support has been farmed out for many things, and the 'technicians' have scripts to follow. Anything not accounted for in the script must not exist. Would not surprise me that Premiere is the same as too many others.

Aaaand I hit submit instead of preview - hence an edit :)

Looking at the data you posted, I think a capture may be in order to see if there is additional data being sent but not rendered by your script because it falls outside of the expected data - as someone else mentioned, a header indicating the length for each element. With that information, you should be able to have your script break the string down into the necessary elements. The biggest pain I can see there is trying to find the beginning of the connection in Wireshark, since UDP is a stateless protocol so you do not have a convenient handshake to start the connection and a teminator to end the connection. Those are fairly easy to spot, even without tracing, then it is just a 'follow the stream'.

Good luck on your quest!
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org
W9PXZ

Post by W9PXZ »

WWW1's instructions are here: http://myxdsreceiver.westwoodone.com/af ... D_Data.pdf
Serial instructions: http://myxdsreceiver.westwoodone.com/af ... _Title.pdf

Since the networks are running the same up link platform, betting it would apply to Premiere as well.

Your receiver needs to be the variant with a Q in the model name to do IP PAD.

Might be some configurable settings in the console window to add the delimiters like the Wegener.

This might be helpful as well: http://myxdsreceiver.westwoodone.com/af ... _Table.pdf
Mike Dinger
Wilmington, NC
tonybroom

Post by tonybroom »

Thanks Mike,

Figured it out when looking at the data in more detail. Probably would have been easier to go the RS-232 route but think I'll be able to make the UDP work now. In the case of Delilah they are using tab spaces to delimit each part of the data... the UDP Test tool I'd used initially wasn't interpreting the tabs. Oddly the same UDP test tool in the WW1 example but since WW1 use ; as delimiters in their examples I guess tabs aren't an issue there.

I don't believe that this XDS is one of the Q models... I'd enabled the IP PAD by accessing the Hudson command line tool by telnetting in to the XDS not sure if I'm technically supposed to do that but Premiere doesn't have the Hudson command line enabled via their web interface.
Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele »

Glad you got it working. I set out to try this at one point before discovering that the Marti-PNP1000 transmitter will never pass RDS data anyway, even if I get the PAD data out to it. But the stream will so maybe I'll try again. bookmarking this for future reference.
tonybroom

Post by tonybroom »

Nathaniel Steele wrote: Tue Jan 12, 2021 3:11 pm Glad you got it working. I set out to try this at one point before discovering that the Marti-PNP1000 transmitter will never pass RDS data anyway, even if I get the PAD data out to it. But the stream will so maybe I'll try again. bookmarking this for future reference.
Ultimately had to write a program to parse this in to the format I needed. Need to spend some time fine tuning as it's not processing correctly all of the time also to format correctly for destinations. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a consistency for this with XDS. Delilah is sending tabs with title, artist, album, runtime, John Tesh sends nothing. Other shows seem to be delimited by semicolons with information in varying positions so seems I'll need to write a subroutine for each show I'd like to pull info from.