Broadcast Electronics Console Model 5S150 Issues

musiconradio.com

Broadcast Electronics Console Model 5S150 Issues

Post by musiconradio.com » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:42 am

Thank you to everyone who sent the manual for our console. It is appreciated. Now the fun part, prior owners had made modifications to the board (uggh!!)

The first issue is they made a single mike relay work on three different channels! (Channels 1, 3, 4,) looks like they put jumpers (picture attached) across the other two relay sockets (I just need the first pot to mute).

If I clip the jumpers will it release the closures on the other two channels and just keep the main relay socket functioning.

Thank you.
Attachments
20171126_211025.jpg

TPT

Re: Broadcast Electronics Console Model 5S150 Issues

Post by TPT » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:59 am

Would appear so...try it--you can always put the jumper back!

musiconradio.com

Post by musiconradio.com » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:21 am

Thank you TPT.

musiconradio.com

Post by musiconradio.com » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:35 am

It worked! Thanks. Now part two. The VU meters are functioning only in program when switching to the Audition or external monitor. Does a particular board have jumpers for this (I didn't see any). What board would you recommend to troubleshoot this. Thank You.

TPT

Post by TPT » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:05 pm

According to the manual, there is a program-audition switch for the VU meters. Should be on the front panel somewhere. If not, they may have left it off the smaller versions of this console. If the switches are there, but the meters stay in program, maybe someone bypassed the switches.

musiconradio.com

Post by musiconradio.com » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:05 am

It looks like some kind of bypass no P/A switch :( Thanks.

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:15 am

With no meter switch--console designed that way. If you need a way to monitor audition levels then the best solution is a couple of outboard VU meters in a minibox. Look at the "Precision Stereo VU Meter Kit " from Jameco for $45.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:20 am

TPT wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:05 pm
According to the manual, there is a program-audition switch for the VU meters. Should be on the front panel somewhere. If not, they may have left it off the smaller versions of this console. If the switches are there, but the meters stay in program, maybe someone bypassed the switches.
The very first station that I ever worked for back in the '80s had a 5S150 (or might have been 8S). I vaguely recall that there was an interlocked push button over in the area of the headphone/studio volume controls to select between P/A meters. They also had a mono version in a prod studio and as I recall, it had 1ea PGM meter and 1ea AUD meter and a blank spot on the escutcheon where the switch resided on the stereo unit.

On a complete tangent...
Make sure that your channel level knobs have the little stop firmly installed AND that your jocks don't slam the pots down into cue AND that the knobs are properly adjusted such that the stop actually stops the knob rather than the cue switch in the pot... Those pots were fragile and expensive back in the day and are probably unobtainum these days. I replaced every pot on the air board at least once and some several times.

I haven't thought about those tanks in years... God, I feel old.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

RGORJANCE

back in the '80s had a 5S150

Post by RGORJANCE » Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:37 pm

You ain't old. My first console in the fall of 56 (that's 1956) was I believe a Western Electric at KWGS FM Tulsa University with the red and black knobs. That's almost old. When I got the job at KVOO in Tulsa in the Philtower, in the spring of 57, they were still using a home made console that had to date back to the late 1930's or 40's. And that station was a 50kw flamethrower on 1170.

Fossil

kkiddkkidd

Re: back in the '80s had a 5S150

Post by kkiddkkidd » Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:03 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:37 pm
You ain't old. My first console in the fall of 56 (that's 1956) was I believe a Western Electric at KWGS FM Tulsa University with the red and black knobs. That's almost old. When I got the job at KVOO in Tulsa in the Philtower, in the spring of 57, they were still using a home made console that had to date back to the late 1930's or 40's. And that station was a 50kw flamethrower on 1170.

Fossil
Were the filaments heated by coal oil?
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
KK Broadcast Engineering

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:40 pm

kkiddkkidd wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:03 pm
Were the filaments heated by coal oil?
Back in the early '70s, I worked with / on two of those. They were great consoles... super headroom, tough, quiet, reliable and almost heavy enough to require reinforcement in the floor.

The tubes weren't heated by coal oil, but were intentionally run a bit below rated voltage. That made them last for a very long time. I was at one such station for 5 years and never needed to change any of the tubes, which had all been in there for some time before my employment. Reliable as it was, the Gates Yard we had in production / news required more attention than the W-E.

I had the same kind of experience with some Western Electric and Raytheon transmitters, though none of them were in full-time service by the time I worked with them. They really did build things to last back then.
kgyconsole.jpg

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:25 pm

I should admit that several of my original customers still had tube consoles in the early '80's.

One had a Gates Yard in Production / Backup air studio but I don't recall what they had in the main studio. It may have been a BE or McMartin similar to this thread.

Another had a huge Gates console that had slide in power supplies and tube amp modules mounted in the bottom of the furniture. They were always good for some excitement as the HV would catch dust bunnies en fuego... There are some pretty funny stories about that one.

A sometimes client had an array of WesternElectric, GE and Gates consoles laying around with a Gates Yard on the air.

By the time that I was getting started in my widespread contract engineering career, a lot of stations had already fallen for the cheap allure of concert type sound boards and a few for reasonably modern solid state broadcast consoles.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
KK Broadcast Engineering

RodeoJack

Post by RodeoJack » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:58 pm

kkiddkkidd wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:25 pm
By the time that I was getting started in my widespread contract engineering career, a lot of stations had already fallen for the cheap allure of concert type sound boards...
Yah... that's always a letdown.

Shane

Post by Shane » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:09 am

Since we’re waxing historical....

When I started at KCRO in 1998, a McMartin 801 (there was a letter prefix I can’t recall) in the air studio and a Collins 212 in production. At the end of 2001, they let us pick out a new console; it was an Audioarts and I want to say it was an R-70. I proceeded to install it in place of the McMartin.

I was asked, “don’t you want to put it in production since that board is so much older?” I said the Collins had better specs than the McMartin so we were perfectly happy to leave the Collins in place!

McMartin ca. 1980
Collins 212 ca. 1960 according to the manual. I did have to replace 6V6’s - maybe just once; don’t recall.

After Salem came in, the Audioarts was used for a couple years until a complete buildout. A Logitek system was installed and the R-70 headed off to new life in Atlanta.
Mike Shane, CBRE
---Omaha---

Dale H. Cook

Post by Dale H. Cook » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:23 am

RGORJANCE wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:37 pm
You ain't old.
Older than I am, but I'm getting there. The first console I ran was a mid-'50s classic - a Collins 212E-1, a veritable tank. For remotes we used its baby brother, the 212Z-1 (I own one of those).
Dale H. Cook, Contract Engineer, Roanoke/Lynchburg, VA
http://plymouthcolony.net/starcityeng/index.html