SAS 64000 Manual or DXE-256 pinout

Nathaniel Steele

SAS 64000 Manual or DXE-256 pinout

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:47 pm

I have accquired an old SAS 64000 router frame and in its module compliment is a DXE-256 AES/EBU Digital I/O card. I found a manual online but it doesn't even mention the DXE-256 card. the Brochure does mention the card but it has no pinout. I'm sure I could figure it out from trial and error, or maybe traing PCB tracks, but if anyone has a manual in .pdf format or can take a picture of that page....

I need to test the thing and decide If I want to use it, I think I found a crimper and have ordered pins, to make up some cables. It didn't come with much but the price (FREE) was right....

Lee_Wheeler

Re: SAS 64000 Manual or DXE-256 pinout

Post by Lee_Wheeler » Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:51 pm

That is a really cool router. Don Winget and I did a studio build for KFAN in Minneapolis many, many moons ago for Shamrock when they had studios on Xerxes Avenue and that router was the heart of the station. They even had custom SAS panels that filled in blank spots on PR&E consoles to control the switcher. As I recall it was AES/EBU capable but I see that they have since moved and I don't know if any of the documents have survived ownership changes and relocations. It is now part of iHeart but it might be worth a call to see if any documents are still around for it. SAS is still a going concern so they would be my first try though.

One other lead, SAS was tied very closely with the Disney Theme Parks, hence the shared DNA with Shamrock, and I would bet that if you could ever manage to get in touch with a sound guy from Disney World or Disneyland Imagineering they could put their hands on documents.

...Lee

Nathaniel Steele

Re: SAS 64000 Manual or DXE-256 pinout

Post by Nathaniel Steele » Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:35 am

I'll be in Orlando next week for the NAB radio show....But I"m leaving thursday and won't be there for the closing event friday morning, whichis a presentation by the disney Imagineers....Shame.

I sent a Request to SAS through thier website a few weeks back, no response. I shall try again.

Thanks for the leads...