Re: ADC Punch Block Tool

Post by Nathaniel Steele »

Shane wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:50 am
Nathaniel Steele wrote:
Tue Mar 31, 2020 8:40 am
I have never used one in a broadcast facility.”
Heh. Young whippersnapper!

I participated in a major studio buildout in 1995-96. We used patch bays extensively. Not my design, though. I was kind of surprised but ok with it since we were so used to operating that way. In the end we didn’t use them near as much as we had been.
I'll be 40 in may but yeah I was in tenth grade when you did that install....

I have done a few patchbay installs but all in recording or live sound installations, broadcast has always beed 66 blocks or routers or both...

Interestingly I have AOIP (DANTE) in my home studio as well but haven't done an AOIP Install in broadcast yet.

Shane

Post by Shane »

dirty patch normal at the transmitter site”
Sounds familiar. Lost too many brain cells since then. Back then when anything bad happened at KFAB it would wind up in the paper. :oops: :roll:

Thought we had the same problem at KCRO in the late 90s. Sound would just go out at random times. The previous engineer reconfigured the processing so different units fed the AUX and we could just switch transmitters until we could get out there to fix.

(Odd but i don’t recall we had a way to bypass an audio processor remotely at KFAB. Had a spare but would have had to patch it manually on site. Main and AUX were fed by the same processing. Had 3 STLs, though!)

Anyway, the KCRO problem turned out to be one of the push-push switches on the CRL Pre-emphasis unit. It refused to clean up so I set the setting permanently with a soldering iron. Never had that problem again. It wasn’t the patch panel this time.
Mike Shane, CBRE
— — Omaha — —

jthorusen

Post by jthorusen »

For all who asked why I need a patch bay:

I probably shouldn't fess this up on-line, but it isn't my station and I'm not on the board or anything, so I think I'm safe... especially since it is Trilithic's (now Viavi's) fault.

Their new Easycast EAS box was crashing as often as two or three times per day. The local screen would be blank, the logs would be empty and until we figured out how to get the thing to send "heartbeat" E-mails, we weren't even aware of how severe the problem was. After consulation with Viavi, we were told that they thought it was a hardware problem and to send the unit back for repair.

OK, except all the station audio goes through the thing. How to stay on the air in the meanwhile? The unit uses those little green blocks with screw terminals (I forget what you call them) that accept your audio cabling and plug into a marching male connector with a row of pins which mounts on an internal circuit board. I ended up taking some solid wire of appropriate gauge and some sleeving and making up some jumpers to patch the audio through. It required five jumpers to carry two stereo channels of audio and a common shield... and the whole thing is risky; there isn't much contact tension and the connector is dangling near the side of the rack.

I decided that this is crazy.... we have two transmitters fed by a common audio DA and the EAS box.... both single points of failure. The only way around is to get out the 8451 spool and start wiring. If I have to do a bunch more wiring in that rack, I only want to do it once... so I am going to create an ability to patch around any single point failure item. Plus, I will be able to plug test equipment into the path at various spots and standardize levels... something else that needs to be done.

Jack fields worked well for us at KCBS... we had one rack half full of audio jacks and another that was half full of video jacks... and we could patch almost anything to anything else in moments. Not that an LPFM is that important, but I really hate mickey-mouse fixes like the one I just did.

Regards,
James K. (Jim) Thorusen
KB6GM
Central Coast Electronics
www.centcoast.com
NW Oregon Consulting Bdcst Eng.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT »

jthorusen wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:45 am
screw terminals (I forget what you call them) that accept your audio cabling and plug into a marching male connector with a row of pins which mounts
The Phoenix connectors. Why the EasyCrap box can't use XLRs is one of the most annoying features of that box.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

grich

Post by grich »

NECRAT wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:09 pm
jthorusen wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:45 am
screw terminals (I forget what you call them) that accept your audio cabling and plug into a marching male connector with a row of pins which mounts
The Phoenix connectors. Why the EasyCrap box can't use XLRs is one of the most annoying features of that box.
I have made my clients aware of the Sage XLR's in case all hell breaks loose and they have to patch a Mackie mixer or such to feed the transmitter...that's your entry point.

Shane

Post by Shane »

Or just pull the XLRs and plug them together directly.
Mike Shane, CBRE
— — Omaha — —

davek

Post by davek »

Shane wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:20 am
Anyway, the KCRO problem turned out to be one of the push-push switches on the CRL Pre-emphasis unit.
This is quite a common fault with CRL devices. Every one that I've come across has always gotten the solder-link treatment on those rear-panel push button switches.

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd »

NECRAT wrote:
And just one of the many annoying "features" of the DasDec. IIRC, the DasDec connectors are actually mirror images of each other and can be tied together with a header made of 1w resistor lead wire.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

kkiddkkidd

Post by kkiddkkidd »

davek wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:58 am
Shane wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:20 am
Anyway, the KCRO problem turned out to be one of the push-push switches on the CRL Pre-emphasis unit.
This is quite a common fault with CRL devices. Every one that I've come across has always gotten the solder-link treatment on those rear-panel push button switches.
Same here. And even the front panel switches on some units.
--
Kevin C. Kidd CSRE/AMD
WD4RAT
AM Ground Systems Company
http://www.amgroundsystems.com
KK Broadcast Engineering
http://www.kkbc.com

awsherrill

Post by awsherrill »

NECRAT wrote:

Just wire up some XLR pigtails, problem solved...or at least made less annoying.

jthorusen

Post by jthorusen »

Re the XLR pigtails....

The jack field is here (about $30).
The punch block tool is here (about $50).
The patch cords are on the way.

It is too late to back out now. :D

Plus, there are other advantages to being able to jack into the system at various points as I mentioned above.

One other obnoxious thing about the Easycast box(es)... the Phoenix connectors used on the older generation unit that we had to replace are larger than the new "mini" ones for the new unit. Otherwise, I could have just plugged the old one back in; it would complete the circuit.

I will be most interested to see what Viavi says when we get the box back. The software crash was on a top layer... read Viavi's software. The underlying Linux system was still running, as one could ping the port and get a reply and a log-on attempt produced an "Error 404" which is a reply from the operating system that the requested page cannot be found. If this turns out to be a software problem, I wonder how many stations will be affected... and how long will the fix take?

(Inquiring minds want to know. :roll: )

Regards,
James K. (Jim) Thorusen
KB6GM
Central Coast Electronics
www.centcoast.com
NW Oregon Consulting Bdcst Eng.