Looking for a list of 24/7 Satellite Programming for Radio - News or Sports or Business or otherwise

Fran3

Looking for a list of 24/7 Satellite Programming for Radio - News or Sports or Business or otherwise

Post by Fran3 »

I'm trying to find a list of all the available 24/7 Satellite Networks for Radio.
24/7 News, Sports, Business, Investing, Entertainment, or whatever.
Thanks for any help.

PS

First choice is a set and forget feed that requires no or minimum local live assistance.

The task is to use a computer program like Zara Radio or Riverdale or whatever to operate an audio switch to switch the satellite feed on and off and to play station IDs, local spots, and such.
TPT

Re: Looking for a list of 24/7 Satellite Programming for Radio - News or Sports or Business or otherwise

Post by TPT »

Well, for entertainment (I assume music programming) the Westwood One networks (for the most part) use the Wegener satellite receivers with the STORQ system that is pretty much self-contained. The automation system is part of the receiver--it can send a relay contact to trigger an external automation system, requires and "end of message" contact back to return to net programming. Most of the liners, ID's etc can be set up on the satellite's system.

For most news, business news or sports, you will need an automation system that accepts external net cues to get in and out of breaks, and some sort of device to do external audio switching to get in and out of the network. Rivendale apparently can handle this. Not sure about Zara, have that in use on a college station but seems too simple for this kind of use. I can't think of a 24/7 news feed, Bloomberg, I believe, has business news, and, of course, ESPN/Fox and CBS have continuous news feeds. Premiere handles most of the talkers. Believe Salem also has feeds of conservative talk, not sure of the coverage over all hours.
Shane

Re: Looking for a list of 24/7 Satellite Programming for Radio - News or Sports or Business or otherwise

Post by Shane »

Salem has 18 hours (6a-12a) a day of live talk. Conservative talk. The overnights are filled with a couple of reruns. You can time shift them if you want. That’s pretty set-and-forget and the Certs of Performance are terribly odious. Each 3-hour segment stands alone contractually.

Weekends are not live, but they supply Best ofs or you can roll your own schedule in the sat receiver scheduler.

There are some stations who do take the whole offering. One interesting thing about it is that each show is pretty much “on-topic” for the day. It’s almost like they have a daily programming meeting. (Maybe they do!)
Mike Shane, CBRE
— — Omaha — —