EAS FM Receivers

W9PXZ
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

EAS FM Receivers

Post by W9PXZ »

I was messing around today redoing the EAS setup after relocating the Sage units. Powered down the old TFT 930A's to make the audio feed into the the 2 Sage nicer and relocate it in the rack. Got it all done and now only one of the 4 tuners works. And I need 4 as one of my stations is an LP1.

Seeing the TFT is more than old enough to buy a beer, (dated 1997 on the factory sticker) what is out there on the market that won't break the bank? Too bad Dayton closed up shop a few years back or I'd just do the order. Need 3 FM and NOAA, rack mount, and preferably more than one in a single chassis.

...Anything other than a Rolls!!! -Biggest POC's out there.
Mike Dinger
Wilmington, NC
TPT

Re: EAS FM Receivers

Post by TPT »

If you have the space in the rack--look for older "analog" tuners on E-Bay. Particularly the better hi-fi brands like Carver, Marantz or Kenwood.
Often these are available for under $50. Advantage is you don't need a battery back-up and are usually sensitive enough if you have a distant monitoring assignment. Disadvantage is that you will need to scarf up a rack shelf somewhere, but I see these on E-bay all the time. I use unbalanced to balanced direct boxes to feed the Sage, but you could probably feed a Sage directly, as the inputs are unbalanced and there is a lot of gain available.

Of course--it is E-Bay, and you may end up with a clunker. I bought a cheap Carver only to find the power supply board was cracked. But some minor surgery & now it is an off-air monitor for a Class A that's 24 miles from the studio.
grich

Post by grich »

You can still have Dayton. Bay Country is selling AFC3 rack mount chassis with your choice of FM or WX receiver cards...he's out of AM cards.

At sites I work at, there are Bogen rack mount tuners, the old Sage receivers, TFT, Burk, Dayton, and a site with Rolls tuners, which haven't died after 5 years, despite the poor build quality.
RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE »

Daytons are good.

I just hooked up an Inovonics 673 two days ago and didn't have the IB as someone else had put it in the rack, and hid the IB. Figured out how to change freq. in quick order. Unit has a lot of features, physically small in size, XLR OUTPUTS. Feature I liked was the ability to switch rcvr to mono mode to reduce noise. Found that in IB after I got home and downloaded manual. Won't have long term eval for awhile though.

We have a problem where freq we need to monitor is close to our FM freq and our xmttr is only about 6-700 feet from bldg. Was, however able to get acceptable alternate station. The stations we are required to monitor are well over 50 miles away....don't know how that was figured out. The weather conditions are/can be drastically different.
Fossil
W9PXZ

Post by W9PXZ »

Thanks for the tip on Bay Country for the Dayton's. $495 for a triple receiver is not a bad deal. Gonna approach the boss on it.

How's this for a tough receive, one of the monitoring assignments for my LP1 is a class C FM about 100 miles away that has a 1st adjacent class A locally. It is the regional PEP station. The only tuner I could come up with that had a sharp enough cutoff on the pass band was a Sangean HD tuner.
Mike Dinger
Wilmington, NC
W9PXZ

Post by W9PXZ »

Ended up ordering a Crown RFBA. We can capex the Crown, but not the Dayton's at Bay Country.

https://www.crownbroadcast.com/receivers/rfba/

I looked at the 3 pack from Inovonics, but they were $550 more than the Crown and only single band each. The Crown will receive AM, FM, WX, and 2m FM on all three tuners. It has an Ethernet connector on the back. Will see what that enables when it gets here.

The only thing that is a minor annoyance about the Crown is that the antenna connectors are BNC rather than F. Easy fix.

I wasn't aware of the Crown, but Jon at BGS put me on to it. It makes sense that they make one given the size of their translator business.
Mike Dinger
Wilmington, NC
TPT

Post by TPT »

BNC to F adapters easy to find. Lot quicker to twist the adapter into the F connector on the end of the cable, then connect the BNC--especially once the receivers are rack mounted.
Shane

Post by Shane »

W5SWL.com is a good source for such adapters.

I just bought a few UHF to BNC adapters to reduce the risk of breaking something inside some ham gear when disconnecting/connecting coax cables repeatedly and to eliminate the time wasted unscrewing/rescrewing PL-259s which I find to be a PITA.
Mike Shane, CBRE
— — Omaha — —
radiowave911

Post by radiowave911 »

We recently replaced our ancient TFT with the Crown RFBA. The only thing I do NOT like about it is the security (or lack thereof) on the Ethernet connection. Simple solution is to only connect it when I need to get into it, but it would be nice to have the configuration protected.

We bought a handful of the F to BNC connectors to adapt the antenna connections as well. It works well with our Sage.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

http://www.wmssfm.com
http://www.sbe41.org
NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT »

I've had two EAS installations where I've used those little old Realistic "TM-150" tuner units. They're small, don't drift, and have a pretty good tuner section to them. You can usually find them for cheap on ebay.
Mike Fitzpatrick
Broadcast Engineer/Tower Photographer
Boston area.
https://www.necrat.us, https://www.scan-ne.net/

"If you don’t think you’re good, nobody else will" - Tom Laun (RIP)."
Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele »

I like the Crown if you can afford it. I've installed 2 for stations I worked for in the past, would love to have one here.

I saw this on a translator rack the other day, no Idea how it performs....

https://www.valcom.com/pdf/v-2952.pdf

Anyone know a good cheap AM reciever for EAS usage?
grich

Post by grich »

Nathaniel Steele wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:59 am ...I saw this on a translator rack the other day, no Idea how it performs....

https://www.valcom.com/pdf/v-2952.pdf
Just fine, as long as there are no strong adjacent channel signals. One of my clients is using one. It was an MOH receiver for a non-profit group who abandoned it and the Comdial phone system it was attached to, in a hotel suite next to the radio station. The hotel was kicking out everybody for a gut renovation, and we were allowed to harvest it.