Old analog Gear, need manuals, etc.

It's just radio with pictures! :)
PID_Stop

Re: Old analog Gear, need manuals, etc.

Post by PID_Stop »

That doesn't sound good at all. One off-the-wall idea: if I remember right, the A51 could run in either NTSC or PAL, and you could change the standard in the SETUP OUTPUT menu. If your A51 is trying to run in PAL, you might get the result you're seeing. Aside from playing havoc with the video output, it's going to make the processing clock unstable, which might also account for the lockups.

Jeff
Jason Harvey

Post by Jason Harvey »

Just to update, it is indeed the composite/rgb output on that particular chassis. The person i bought mine from had a 2nd chassis and sent me it to try, and everything boots up and works fine. Now i'm on the hunt for a manual. Do you happen to still have access to yours, or maybe any previous users have a copy? I'm trustworthy, have references and am willing to pay anyone for their time or shipping to scan or allow me to borrow to scan and send back. I have an A53 manual and it will help a bit, but i'd love to have the actual A51+ manual. If no luck, i've got an Ebay search setup for one with my fingers crossed :D

Thanks for your responses, i truly appreciate it.

Jason Harvey

PID_Stop wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:48 pm That doesn't sound good at all. One off-the-wall idea: if I remember right, the A51 could run in either NTSC or PAL, and you could change the standard in the SETUP OUTPUT menu. If your A51 is trying to run in PAL, you might get the result you're seeing. Aside from playing havoc with the video output, it's going to make the processing clock unstable, which might also account for the lockups.

Jeff
PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop »

Jason Harvey wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:06 pm...Now i'm on the hunt for a manual. Do you happen to still have access to yours...
I'm sorry Jason, our technical manuals and extender boards went with our A51s and combiners ten years ago when we converted our production control to HD. So far I've been able to answer your questions from memory and from scraps of incidental documentation we still have from our plant.

One suggestion that might work: go into your system settings and explicitly change all of your timing settings. It doesn't really matter what values you set them to, but since all of these settings are retained by the NICAD battery (which is likely toast), one or more could be corrupt. Forcing new settings will force validity, and might possibly clean things up. I had a very similar problem at one point that surfaced after a power failure, and was vastly relieved when setting up timing made things suddenly snap back.

Best of luck,

Jeff
Jason Harvey

Post by Jason Harvey »

PID_Stop wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 8:57 am
Jason Harvey wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:06 pm...Now i'm on the hunt for a manual. Do you happen to still have access to yours...
I'm sorry Jason, our technical manuals and extender boards went with our A51s and combiners ten years ago when we converted our production control to HD. So far I've been able to answer your questions from memory and from scraps of incidental documentation we still have from our plant.

One suggestion that might work: go into your system settings and explicitly change all of your timing settings. It doesn't really matter what values you set them to, but since all of these settings are retained by the NICAD battery (which is likely toast), one or more could be corrupt. Forcing new settings will force validity, and might possibly clean things up. I had a very similar problem at one point that surfaced after a power failure, and was vastly relieved when setting up timing made things suddenly snap back.

Best of luck,

Jeff
I totally understand. I've dove into the A53 manual a bit more and its REALLY similar. Enough to get me to operate the unit and get things moving, spinning and sparkling with trails :) I love how many copies of the same video an Abekas can do with its Multi-Pic effect! Gonna dive into the 3d/Solids stuff soon and see if i can get some results. So glad to have found this page and your help, much appreciated Jeff! Take care.

Jason
Jason Harvey

Post by Jason Harvey »

Any experience with keyframe animation and CMX control with the Abekas A51+? I'm assuming it was similar on other systems. I'm attempting to record the multiple passes onto tape so i can render 3D animations, but i've not been blessed with an Abekas A62/72 disc recorder (i'm looking). My thoughts are i could maybe sync the timing via GPI or RS232 with some sort of CMX style control so that i can start recording on the computer and hit RUN on the Abekas animations at the same time so the timing is all correct. Any thoughts?
PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop »

Jason Harvey wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 9:57 am...i've not been blessed with an Abekas A62/72 disc recorder (i'm looking).
"Blessing" is not necessarily a concept I associate with the A62! Back when I was doing freelance maintenance for a local production house, I was tasked with getting a used A62 running -- they bought the thing as-is. Back when Abekas designed it, the concept was great... but it was just a bit too advanced for the technology available at the time, and reliability was a problem. I did manage to get it running, and it was impressive for a few months until a nearby lightning strike killed it.

In some ways the Sony BVH-2500 (the second generation with the digital tracking control) was a better solution for animation: no limits on recording time, and you could keep the original tape -- anything on the A62 had to be recorded somewhere else. We used a first-generation 2500 for a while, linked to a PC -- I think it was a 286 with optional math co-processor -- to do step-frame animation. The computer would take a couple of minutes to render a frame, the 2500 would record it, then the PC would start the next frame. It was possible to animate on standard BVH-2000s, and it was funny to watch, but wore the tape a lot faster.

Jeff
Jason Harvey

Post by Jason Harvey »

Thanks for that info Jeff. Looks like the Sony is easier to find too. Another question: Do you know the name of the round 12 pin connectors on the back of the A51+ chassis? I also see inputs with the same 12 pin connector on the A51+ Video Combiner. I'm wondering if those are better than composite cables. I thought it might be a 12 pin hirose connection but those are too small. Also, i got a hold of the previous owner of Abekas Junaid Sheik's contact info and sent out a message, hopefully he might be able to point to a stash of Abekas documentation i can scan and share.
PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop »

Sorry, I don't remember the type of connectors. As I recall, they were Y / R-Y / B-Y component video plus the key signal, so yes -- the video quality was much better than componsite.

Jeff
Jason Harvey

Post by Jason Harvey »

I spent the past few days digging around and found out what cable they are, its called an "M55306" variant of the AWM STYLE 2969 cable.
Like you mentioned the A51+ has composite and component in, and if you want to add a 3rd or 4th channel you have to use these "M55306" cables.
I've got 2 on order, found them on ebay :)
AWM-STYLE-2969.jpg
ABEKAS-A51-CHASSIS-BACK-PANEL-AWM-STYLE-2969.jpg
DaveSt

Post by DaveSt »

Those connectors look like Hirose RM15T. I have seen them elsewhere.
Jason Harvey

Post by Jason Harvey »

To confirm those round connectors on the back of the Abekas A51+ are indeed M55306 style connectors.

I'm trying to get the Video Combiner and Control Combiner to function now. I'm unsure how to hook up the connections. I made several DB9 to DB15 cables according to the specs of Jeff's posts above to connect the A51+'s to the Control Combiner.

I plugged my controller into the "CP1" DB15 port on the Control Combiner. I also plugged a DB9 to DB15 from each "Keyboard" out on the chassis to the "Channel A, Channel B, etc." on the Control Combiner. I have a DB25 cable going from "Control bus" on the Video Combiner to the "Control Bus" on the Control Combiner, and have the Status out from each A51+ chassis running to the Status inputs of the Control Combiner.
I get no response on the controller with this setup. Below is an image of all three units. Any ideas?
abekas-setup-psd.png