Audio board EQ for newscasts

It's just radio with pictures! :)
westcoast44

Audio board EQ for newscasts

Post by westcoast44 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:10 pm

We have a Yamaha 02R96VCM for our newscasts...which has quite a bit of EQ capabilities.. capabilities we arent using at all..our audio sounds ok but I'm sure our audiophile viewers beg to differ.. was wondering what some people out there are doing..are you doing something different for mics vs say video servers?

Deep Thought

Re: Audio board EQ for newscasts

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:40 pm

Your audiophile viewers probably wouldn't know how to properly mic a live show if their oxygen-free brain had to.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

westcoast44

Post by westcoast44 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:53 pm

I agree 100%! Still.. might as well explore some potential avenues of improvement... love reading the armchair engineers comments on the station Facebook page tho..

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:01 am

Can that board EQ out the stupid?
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

westcoast44

Post by westcoast44 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 am

My engineering stupid? Or the production people stupid lol?

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:51 am

westcoast44 wrote:
Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:10 pm
We have a Yamaha 02R96VCM for our newscasts...which has quite a bit of EQ capabilities.. capabilities we arent using at all..our audio sounds ok but I'm sure our audiophile viewers beg to differ.. was wondering what some people out there are doing..are you doing something different for mics vs say video servers?
We have extensive EQ capability as well but we make almost no use of it. (we do roll off the VERY bottom end due to some air-handling gear that's not as quiet as we'd like)

We're in Nashville so we have plenty of audiophile viewers:) Again, except for the aforementioned air-handling issues we've not had any complaints.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:34 pm

Agree with the last. Our Wheatstone board lets us do all sorts of EQ and dynamics processing on each channel, most of which is unused. In general, my experience has been that if you need substantial EQ for studio pickup, you're probably not using the most suitable mic for the job.

Jeff

KPJL FM

Post by KPJL FM » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:26 pm

westcoast44 wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:48 am
My engineering stupid? Or the production people stupid lol?
Newscaster stupid :lol:
Trim to fit, paint to match, tune for minimum smoke.

westcoast44

Post by westcoast44 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:57 pm

As a follow-up to this. Any advice to using compression on the individual channels? I get the basics of it but was hoping someone could maybe describe how they put it in use. Audio engineering is an area I will admit is probably my biggest weakness coming from the Telecom industry, but I like turn my weaknesses into strengths! (or at least try to).

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:39 pm

PID_Stop wrote:
Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:34 pm
Agree with the last. Our Wheatstone board lets us do all sorts of EQ and dynamics processing on each channel, most of which is unused. In general, my experience has been that if you need substantial EQ for studio pickup, you're probably not using the most suitable mic for the job.

Jeff
In Rhode Island , we had to use the EQ to take the air conditioner noise out of the mic. Unfortunately the studio was very "live" and the A/C noise was quite the thing. Now the talent at the multi-monitor, if you listen with a good stereo at home, you can hear the electric bus behind the set. (Which oscillates very loudly when the lighting is on.)
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"