NBC Namedropper Trigger Configuration Help

It's just radio with pictures! :)
PID_Stop

Re: NBC Namedropper Trigger Configuration Help

Post by PID_Stop »

grich wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:27 am
Do you have a TC reader or a scope you can connect to the TC line at the Namedropper end to verify signal presence/quality?

We feed ours with timecode and I don't recall having too much trouble with setup, although it has been almost 10 years ago. I will try to remember to look up our setup when I get back from vacation next week.
Same here. We have two Namedroppers in our hub facility, and they have never failed to read time code -- and we've gone from Leitch master clocks to ESE to Evertz. Unless something has changed in the last few months, Namedroppers don't read VITC; they just use incoming video as a frequency reference to increment the internal UTC clock more accurately.

Jeff

grich

Re: NBC Namedropper Trigger Configuration / METAR server

Post by grich »

grich wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:19 pm
PID_Stop wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:36 pm
For those of you who have been missing the temperature on the Today Show graphics since last week: the current known working METAR IP address is now 140.90.101.79. It's changed several times over the last few months, and Evertz got me this latest address this morning -- and both of our Namedroppers are showing temperature again.

Jeff
One of the biggest pet-peeves I have of the Namedropper is the METAR server setup. I wish Evertz gave us the option of a URL rather than IP address here.

The NWS METAR site is tgftp.nws.noaa.gov, which currently resolves to 140.90.101.79. I can use Filezilla to drill down through their folders and grab the actual coded text file Evertz uses. When the Namedropper temperature stops working, I bypass and reboot first. If that doesn't work, I ping tgftp.nws.noaa.gov and see if the IP address has changed.

Gregg
So, the latest fun with Namedropper started this past week when the temperature went blank, and updated the IP to the new one (which I think is the same IP listed above). Didn't work. Tried to log into Filezilla. I could log in, but trying to pull a directory listing timed out. Thinking something on the corporate net became funky, I looked it up on my phone...I could readily get to the METAR data. Same with using my laptop at home. It has the corporate IT folks baffled so far.

Cant_Say

Post by Cant_Say »

One of the biggest pet-peeves I have of the Namedropper is the METAR server setup. I wish Evertz gave us the option of a URL rather than IP address here.

The NWS METAR site is tgftp.nws.noaa.gov, which currently resolves to 140.90.101.79. I can use Filezilla to drill down through their folders and grab the actual coded text file Evertz uses. When the Namedropper temperature stops working, I bypass and reboot first. If that doesn't work, I ping tgftp.nws.noaa.gov and see if the IP address has changed.

Gregg
[/quote]

You can do that -
Open up the METAR page in your browser -
For METAR server IP put 0.0.0.0
In the METAR Server DNS Name field put "tgftp.nws.noaa.gov" without the quotes

hit SUBMIT and you're done

CS

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop »

Cant_Say wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:38 pm
You can do that -

CS
Bear in mind that only the more recent firmware releases supports this... you might need to update your Namedropper if you don't see this option.

Jeff

grich

Post by grich »

PID_Stop wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:25 am
Cant_Say wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:38 pm
You can do that -

CS
Bear in mind that only the more recent firmware releases supports this... you might need to update your Namedropper if you don't see this option.

Jeff
And that's what I want to do...desperately. Don't have the name option.

I did get METAR service back after the corporate IT folks adjusted a firewall rule.

Cant_Say

Re: NBC Namedropper Trigger Configuration Help

Post by Cant_Say »

Right you are about METAR and Evertz Namedropper firmware -

As far as I can tell from reading the release notes the first firmware version that supported fully qualified domain names is 2.19b1590 (May 28, 2013) but this version and version 2.19b1734 causes the RSS feed that is feeding the crawl to constantly repeat the first story of the RSS feed and never advance.
It doesn't look great on-air. Builds before and after these 2 were OK for RSS. This bug (feature?) was fixed in 2.19v1746.

interestingly enough 2.19b1734 is whats currently available on the Evertz website.

I imagine a call to Evertz will get you b1746.

CS