IRD control

It's just radio with pictures! :)
kc9hta

IRD control

Post by kc9hta » Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:19 am

I'm looking for an IRD manufacturer that has a product to remotely manage multiple IRDs in several locations using one application over the Internet?
I've you're an Evertz fan, think of using Vistalink to manage DL criteria.

Thanks,

Nate

PID_Stop

Re: IRD control

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:23 am

There are several manufacturers making IRDs that fit in an OpenGear chassis -- we have a number of Sencore AG4400 and AG5800 series cards, for example -- some are satellite receivers, some are 8VSB receivers, some take ASI feeds. You don't specify what sort of incoming signal you are taking -- if it's an ASI feed or an IP stream, Cobalt Digital also has relevant OpenGear cards. You would use Ross Video's Dashboard software to control the frame, and that's a free download.

As a practical matter, every IRD we have in our facility -- Sencore, Cobalt, Tandberg, Ericsson, Harmonic, Upcom, Scopus -- can be controlled through a web browser without using special software. Maybe it would be simpler and safer to set up more secure VPN tunneling to your remote location to allow this access, than to expose your equipment directly to the public internet.

Jeff

kc9hta

Post by kc9hta » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:36 am

Thanks Jeff. I was thinking about a VPN hardware appliance too. I found this too:

http://www.datacast.com/product/net-manager

The incoming signal will be C band coming off a satellite dish. We aren't planning on being up on the satellite all the time, only when our IP systems go down. So I'm looking at a bird that we can have access to for recovery with the same DL polarity.

kc9hta

Post by kc9hta » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:50 am

I'm also researching this product:

https://www.dataminer.co/#what

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:28 pm

You didn't mention price, but if you want a solid product with good solid support, and you have the devices already installed, Compusat would be a good option to use.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:01 pm

Just another thumbs-up for Compusat.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

grich

Post by grich » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:56 pm

Make it three thumbs-up for Compusat. It works, and it controls a lot more than receivers. It costs, but if you have to automate receiver switching, dish moves, recordings, etc...this is the way to go.