CW Plus Programming with SAP

More channels means more money for the techs, right?
rftranstv

CW Plus Programming with SAP

Post by rftranstv » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:10 pm

Just discovered our primary CW+ receiver wasn't decoding their SAP audio properly. Now that it is, does anyone know of any of their programming has a 2nd audio track?

grich

Re: CW Plus Programming with SAP

Post by grich » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:51 pm

Some of NBC's programming has descriptive video, although I don't have a current tally of the shows. Sunday Night Football has a Spanish track.

rftranstv

Post by rftranstv » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:17 pm

What about the CW+ any idea if any of their programming have a Spanish audio track?

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:36 pm

rftranstv wrote:
Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:17 pm
What about the CW+ any idea if any of their programming have a Spanish audio track?
They may not be spanish, but probably would be Descriptive Audio (AD). Contact the CW NOC or affiliate relations to see what shows use it or not.
You can also watch the very start of the show, and if you see the "AD" in the corner , you know it'll have it.

Spanish typically is only seen on a SAP channel during sports.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Euclid

Post by Euclid » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:56 pm

At WRC (NBC OTS) we have had a system that inserts the main channel audio into the SAP channel whenever there is no audio on SAP. We started doing this back in the '90s or before. The current system uses the automatic audio switching that is included in the Miranda XVP3901. I also use the XVP to downmix the 5.1 main audio to 2.0 for the SAP channel.

I also placed the XVP at the beginning of the Air Path (output of Master Control) so that in an emergency almost any 30/60 Hz format (480i, 720p, or 1080i) can be fed into the Air Path. These XVPs are licensed for full cross conversion and audio processing except compression.

The downside of the XVP3901 is that it is not cheap and it is complicated to configure. If you use it for automatic preset switching triggered by the audio, always turn off the automatic switching before making changes to the presets. If don't do this it will often switch while you make changes and wipe out you new settings before you can save them.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:06 pm

Euclid wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:56 pm

The downside of the XVP3901 is that it is not cheap and it is complicated to configure.
We had an XVP-3901 fail, hard, during one of our newscasts when I was at Fox. We had been demoing a new Linear Acoustics box,
which we were able to put in line with it, to get things back.

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

Euclid

Post by Euclid » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:40 pm

We have had a few XVP3901 failures an WRC over the last ten years. But we probably have about hundred XVP3901 in our plant. We selected them as a bridge between the old SD plant and the HD plant. For some reason I had at least two failures on ones with the 9.7.4 firmware. 9.7.4 is special firmware that allows GPI 3 and GPI 4 to work and override the automatic switching. The problems 9.7.4 firmware was in the Airpath, which is 100% redundant on both the NBC and Telemundo systems.

Most of the Miranda gear we have has an extremely low failure rate. Densite Power supplies fail occasionally but they are cheap. I made an iControl Web page that shows me were bad power supplies are. You can also just walk by the frames once a week and look for red lights on the CPU cards.

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:05 pm

Euclid wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:40 pm
Most of the Miranda gear we have has an extremely low failure rate. Densite Power supplies fail occasionally but they are cheap. I made an iControl Web page that shows me were bad power supplies are. You can also just walk by the frames once a week and look for red lights on the CPU cards.
And the majority of those PS failures were the little fans in the supplies. An easy fix, and the fans were inexpensive. Our overnight guy used to "sweep" the tech room for the red PS lights, yank the supplies, swap fans, and back in.

I agree the Miranda stuff was quite nice overall.