ATSC 3.0

More channels means more money for the techs, right?
Kelly

ATSC 3.0

Post by Kelly » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:17 pm

Haven't had to deal with this yet, but have tried to follow along in the trades. I'm a little concerned, or better yet, confused with the future roadmap for ATSC 3.0:

1. You need two whole channels to properly transmit ATSC 3.0. Especially in larger markets and especially now with the repack, like here in the WDC market, there's zero room for stations to just go out and get a second channel. As with ATSC 1.0, large markets started the drive. If all the channels are in use, the options for multiple stations in a market to get into the ATSC 3.0 game seem nil. If you're Sinclair and own a lot of stations with duopoly, then it might pencil out. But that's just one group. If you're a smaller group without duopoly? You're left on the side lines.

2. Just the other day (not surprisingly), Charter publicly announced their doubts about the viability of ATSC 3.0 due to lack of compatibility with any MVPD standards.

It seems like between the repack, and probable hunt for even more of our spectrum in the future, it's only going to get tougher to pull this off nationwide.

To be fair looking under the tent flap, the media and marketing darling of future bandwidth-buzz; 5G, ITU, IMG and IEEE hasn't even settled on a full attainable standard yet for 5G! But, if you watch all the major carrier spots on TV, 5G is just around the corner!

w9wi

Re: ATSC 3.0

Post by w9wi » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:55 pm

Kelly wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:17 pm
1. You need two whole channels to properly transmit ATSC 3.0. Especially in larger markets and especially now with the repack, like here in the WDC market, there's zero room for stations to just go out and get a second channel. As with ATSC 1.0, large markets started the drive. If all the channels are in use, the options for multiple stations in a market to get into the ATSC 3.0 game seem nil. If you're Sinclair and own a lot of stations with duopoly, then it might pencil out. But that's just one group. If you're a smaller group without duopoly? You're left on the side lines.
ATSC 3.0 can be properly transmitted in a single channel.

However, since it's not backwards-compatible, right now, if you have a full-power or Class A station you have to arrange for someone else to simulcast your station in ATSC 1.0.

The plan right now calls for a "nightlight" station. In Phoenix, for example, Univision's KFPH-CD is the "nightlight". It will convert to ATSC 3.0 and carry its own programming in that mode, along with the programming of nine other stations owned by seven companies. In return, KFPH's three channels of programming will be simulcast in ATSC 1.0 on some of those nine stations.

Can that scheme play out outside the context of a demonstration project? Good question.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

Kelly

Post by Kelly » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:46 am

Thanks for the clarification Doug. Yeah, I knew that and didn't do a good job of typing it. One channel to keep going with what you have, and the ATSC 3.0 modulated version. Still brings up the same dilemma; of all the markets, how many have the option of a second-dedicated ATSC 3.0 channel?
Anymore, not many.

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:27 pm

Well, again that's where the nightlight thing comes in. I don't think the idea of several owners share a single nightlight station is going to be confined to the Phoenix demonstration project.

The hope... is that at some point down the line, enough ATSC 3.0 receivers are out there that the nightlight can be reversed. Maybe ten stations' worth of programming will be carried in ATSC 1.0 on two transmitters, while the remaining eight transmitters operate in 3.0. And eventually, the day is reached where all the 1.0 transmissions cease & everything is in 3.0.

Again, whether that will actually happen who knows but that's the plan.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:37 am

I've heard the interim transition model referred to more often as a "lighthouse", and there's a decent article that includes the notion. Unlike the analog-to-ATSC transition, it does not depend on adding any new stations to the market; instead, a handful of stations switch to ATSC 3.0 and add streams from other stations that remain on 1.0; in exchange, remaining 1.0 stations back off the bitrate they're using for their streams and add one or two streams from stations that are transmitting 3.0. The general idea is that you wind up with a 1.0 version and a 3.0 version of each service during the lighthouse period... after which the remaining 1.0 stations switch over to 3.0, and everyone goes back to using their own program stream for their own content.

We're already getting viewers screaming at us every time we shut down for tower work... I can't wait for all the complaints about picture quality during the transition, or the people who suddenly can't receive anything at the end of the transition.

Jeff

rftranstv

Post by rftranstv » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:24 pm

I think 3.0 is going to bring some great revenue generating opportunities but stations need to start promoting it now. You don't hear about it at all outside of the broadcast trades so people don't know about it. I don't think there have been alot of talk about it outside of engineering circles either (for example news and sales departments have no idea the opportunities it can provide and haven't been planning for the future at least from what I seen).

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:43 pm

rftranstv wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:24 pm
I think 3.0 is going to bring some great revenue generating opportunities but stations need to start promoting it now.
Maybe I'm missing something here: why would a station promote something they aren't transmitting? We have to deal with an awful lot of confused viewers as it is...

Jeff

rftranstv

Post by rftranstv » Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:22 am

PID_Stop wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:43 pm
rftranstv wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:24 pm
I think 3.0 is going to bring some great revenue generating opportunities but stations need to start promoting it now.
Maybe I'm missing something here: why would a station promote something they aren't transmitting? We have to deal with an awful lot of confused viewers as it is...

Jeff

Yeah that's true good point. Just hate to see it not be successful because people don't know about it or understand it