IPTV Encoder

More channels means more money for the techs, right?
Nathaniel Steele

IPTV Encoder

Post by Nathaniel Steele »

I have an opportunity to expand our current Cable channel onto the local fiber providers IPTV lineup. I need to purchase an encoder, preferably HD 1080P, with an HD-SDI input. the challenge, I need to do this as cheap as possible right now, once it makes some money I can upgrade, but If I can find something that doesn't need to be upgraded all the better.

I'm mostly a radio guy, this is the specification of what we need to send them via IP:

"We would need a IP multicast stream that is MPEG4 AVC/ H.264 video with AC3 audio running at a CBR of around 6-8 Mbps, or less if the feed isn’t HD."

Can someone recommend something I might find used that can do this? they use and recommended me to purchase a WISI Chameleon, but it's a $4,000 box and has 3 extra channels I don't need. A hardware solution is preferred, but If there's some software that I can stick a blackmagic HD-SDI capture card into and do reliably, that could be an option. I've toyed with OBS, but not real knowledgeable about whether it can do this. Currently the primary feed is a PC based digital signage player(SCALA).

Thanks

Nathan
carver

Re: IPTV Encoder

Post by carver »

previously I used Blackmagic Decklink SDI + ffmpeg. under ubuntu. it's cheap solution.
for VLC it worked perfectly, but for professional equipment my the stream wasn't very good.
later we switched to EN8030/8090 because they was free to us. (from old project)
/carv
Nathaniel Steele

Post by Nathaniel Steele »

Thanks!

Anything I should lookout for when looking for a used EN8030/EN8090? I have seen many of your threads about getting licencing options enabled, do you have success and Is the cost reasonable? Do I need to look for specific HW/SW options to satisfy my stream requirements?

A quick search shows some used units under $1000 US which is where I'd like to be.
carver

Post by carver »

I use EN8030/8090 for IPTV only because I used them for SAT uplink before and I just had them.

I haven't advice on the best choice, but I recommend you also ask on sngforum(for me first link in google),
perhaps other manufacturers are also popular and will be cheaper.

for EN8030/8090 - please check that Build Version v3.x.x must be installed (not S/W Release).
I don't remember the details, but from some old version - some board needs modification(like H/W Mod Strike must be v0.3).

I cannot answer about AVP1000/2000/3000/4000, don't used, but with a modern control board, Host_Plus,
where SW is installed above 9.15, I think they will be much more expensive.

for Tandberg/erricson/mediakind there are no problems with licenses, most of the sellers sell fully activated ones.
on this forum they also have many, including me.

I also have several 4Casters. also stable devices,
but perhaps the price of electricity will be more expensive with them.
don't calc but now i turned them off. i used it more for HLS and RTMP.
/carv