RX1290 decoder failure

More channels means more money for the techs, right?
coremans

RX1290 decoder failure

Post by coremans »

About half of our RX1290's seem to have decoding issues. On RF , IP or ASI does not mather.
They just start to output rubish, no errors seen on the decoder interface.

It started a year ago and now about 5 decoders have the same issue...

Anyone who knows what causes this ?

PID_Stop

Re: RX1290 decoder failure

Post by PID_Stop »

RX1290s have been out of production for some time now; bad capacitors would be my initial suspicion. On the other hand, 1290s are newer than the initial surge of RoHS equipment, so they probably aren't falling victim to the tin whisker failures from lead-free solder. (Nearly all of our original Teranex upconverters seem to have fallen victim to the tin whisker problem).

We have a number of 1290s in our shop, many from ABC equipment, and they are still going strong... so I would wonder if there's an environmental aspect like accumulated dust, high ambient temperature in the rack, failed fan, and so forth.

Jeff

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT »

coremans wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:52 am
About half of our RX1290's seem to have decoding issues. On RF , IP or ASI does not mather.
They just start to output rubish, no errors seen on the decoder interface.

It started a year ago and now about 5 decoders have the same issue...

Anyone who knows what causes this ?
Two questions for you. What output format are you using (ASI/HDSDI/SDSDI?)

Please explain "rubbish". Pixelization? Flashing to black?
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

grich

Post by grich »

PID_Stop wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:49 pm
RX1290s have been out of production for some time now; bad capacitors would be my initial suspicion. On the other hand, 1290s are newer than the initial surge of RoHS equipment, so they probably aren't falling victim to the tin whisker failures from lead-free solder. (Nearly all of our original Teranex upconverters seem to have fallen victim to the tin whisker problem).

We have a number of 1290s in our shop, many from ABC equipment, and they are still going strong... so I would wonder if there's an environmental aspect like accumulated dust, high ambient temperature in the rack, failed fan, and so forth.

Jeff
We have 1290's in the NBC racks, too, all around 10 years old at least. Ditto to all the above, especially fan failure.