FM and windmills

FM does it with frequency!
grich

FM and windmills

Post by grich » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:17 pm

Someone I know is going to have a wind farm built around his TX site. Does anyone know of any data chronicling FM reception issues caused by wind farms?

Gregg

NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: FM and windmills

Post by NECRAT » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:47 pm

Make contact with the chief engineer of Entercom in Buffalo, NY. He has a site surrounded by Wind Turbines out in the country, that is essentially a rim shot to the city.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

TPT

Post by TPT » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:39 am

WWPN, Westernport, Maryland had to move their studio site when a line of windmills was built on the path between studio and transmitter site.

Those whirling blades didn't help 950 reception.

Deep Thought

Post by Deep Thought » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 am

How far up is the FM antenna?

Wind turbines generally don't rotate fast enough to cause major problems at FM frequencies, and any multipath from them would be unnoticeable once you got a few miles from the site as it would all "look" like a point source to the receiver. I wouldn't be trying to run a channel 5 or 6 DTV station from there though... :mrgreen:
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com

grich

Post by grich » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:25 pm

They're a class C1 in the reserved band, 634 feet HAAT. University-owned, two windmills could be within a couple miles. Powers-that-be didn't mention it to the GM till the deal was done, apparently.

COMMENG

Post by COMMENG » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:10 pm

We have a bunch of windwmills up here in Iowa, in fact many of the components are made in Cedar Rapids.

I have been told the blades are made of an aluminum core with fiberglass skins. The width of the cores are about 1/8 wavelength wide so I doubt you will have any problems if they are 1 mile or more away, especially owing to the height of the FM antenna.

COMMENG

grich

Post by grich » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:08 pm

COMMENG wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:10 pm
We have a bunch of windwmills up here in Iowa, in fact many of the components are made in Cedar Rapids...
Yes, we do. :D

The old Maytag plant in Newton is home to a company that makes blades, I believe. I can see the beacons on the Story County wind farms from my back yard on a clear night.