Arris DSR-4460 won't authorize on unencrypted feed

It's just radio with pictures! :)
w9wi

Arris DSR-4460 won't authorize on unencrypted feed

Post by w9wi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:43 am

We did a firmware upgrade on a DSR-4460 this morning -- afterwards, it won't authorize. It's tuned to the right downlink parameters (frequency, symbol rate, etc.) -- I have a "SIGNAL" light & it goes away if I intentionally enter the wrong DL frequency or pull the RF cable. But the "AUTHORIZED" light isn't lighting, I have a red "ALARM", and there is no output.

We're locked, with an Eb/NO of +11.5dB & signal quality of 94.

Same feed (and same dish) work fine with an Ericsson RX8200. But I can't keep News' IRD forever...

Program source is checking with the uplinker but I wonder if anyone else has any ideas? We may need to repeat the upgrade..
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

w9wi

Re: Arris DSR-4460 won't authorize on unencrypted feed

Post by w9wi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:03 pm

This is resolved.

(somehow, the firmware upgrade process switched it to DCII mode -- it's supposed to be unencrypted MPEG)
Last edited by w9wi on Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:07 pm

Upgrading for the Katz HD transition? :)

Jeff

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:08 pm

(yes!)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:32 pm

Yup, we have a bunch of Sencore OpenGear IRDs that need to get HD licenses. I'm not exactly loving the prospect of paying out money to receive feeds in HD that only make air in SD. At least we're a centralcasting hub, so we use the same receivers for a bunch of stations.

Sigh.

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Ouch. Sorry to hear that...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:21 pm

Well, just updated the firmware on the Sencores (they tended to disappear from Dashboard and become invisible to web browsers... nothing like having to pull and reseat cards to be able to see them). And just loaded the HD license keys... so now I have something to look forward to on Monday.

Jeff

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:28 pm

I'm glad I took this shot at getting a look at the web GUI. The front-panel UI on these Arris (Motorola) IRDs is pretty weird -- I took our .2 off the air for a few minutes last week just trying to write down where we currently were, without changing anything... It'll be a LOT easier with the browser.

I've had a few problems with stability in Sencore IRDs over the years. Then again, I've heard from other engineers who swear by the Sencores -- and don't like the Ericssons -- which I've been using trouble-free (knock wood) to decode our live trucks ever since we converted them to HD...
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:07 am

Over the years I've found that different decoders are better for certain applications than others. We've used Tandberg / Ericsson for satellite downlinks and ASI decoders for years without too much fuss, but the 8200 is troublesome if you're trying to decode an IP stream. Upcoms (yeah, right!) have been very stable for IP, but seem to drop out as satellite receivers. Our different flavors of Sencores are generally pretty stable in different modes, but the 4400 firmware we've been running has an annoying habit of dropping the user interface. The Harmonic receivers we've had worked pretty well... once they get through the interminable bootup.

Life was much easier when everything was analog, there was no boot-up (except maybe for tubes warming up), and you could troubleshoot it with a meter and scope. (Yup, said like an old fart!)

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:06 am

The Tandberg RX-1290 receivers were nice receivers, except the internal upconversion and cross-conversion never worked. So you were always stuck with using outboard converters. After extensive calls with Tandberg, they admitted their hardware did the conversions in a funky route, which didn't work well.

At my former station, we were using 8200 receivers for our two sub channels. The setup on them always seems a little kludgey to me. In fact, I found that the front panel on them was easier to setup than the web browser. But once they were up and running, they were pretty solid. Occasionally one would go stupid on us. I had one lock up after the sun-outage window, and not return. Having to do a full reboot. They seemed to handle low signal better than the others.

For the news-gathering, I started putting in the Sencore receivers, with excellent luck. It was nice to have a receiver with even the basic stuff, already working, and not having to buy a license for them.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:09 am

PID_Stop wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:07 am
Life was much easier when everything was analog, there was no boot-up (except maybe for tubes warming up), and you could troubleshoot it with a meter and scope. (Yup, said like an old fart!)
Except for dealing with the video bandwidth noise, and trying to get the sparklies out of the picture. (Especially on KU news feeds).
And keeping the audio clean (as well as figuring out what sub-carriers are used, syndicaters varied which ones fed what, and trying to get the MCOs to tune in the feeds properly once we went stereo)

I think the old Standard Agile Omni receivers are still on a shelf at that station, they never threw anything away!

I had to tune in an analog news feed about three years ago. Some Hollywood entertainment talk-back thing they had.
Brought back memories!
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:05 am

So... while I was at it and since it's a nice day outside, it seemed like a good time to peak the satellite dish.

The current resident disagrees.

Jeff

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:16 pm

PID_Stop wrote:
Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:07 am
Over the years I've found that different decoders are better for certain applications than others. We've used Tandberg / Ericsson for satellite downlinks and ASI decoders for years without too much fuss, but the 8200 is troublesome if you're trying to decode an IP stream. Upcoms (yeah, right!) have been very stable for IP, but seem to drop out as satellite receivers. Our different flavors of Sencores are generally pretty stable in different modes, but the 4400 firmware we've been running has an annoying habit of dropping the user interface. The Harmonic receivers we've had worked pretty well... once they get through the interminable bootup.

Hmmm -- I use a pair of 8200s to decode IP streams & they've been great. (again, knock wood!) We took the ASI outputs of our SD microwave receivers at two remote receive sites, and used TT1222s to stream the ASI over IP back to the station.

We used 1RU Sencores to decode IP (different stream) -- they required periodic reboots. Same type of Sencore, with a RF input module, is our main off-air demod & works great.

It was handy to be able to verify the presence of either audio or video, and determine whether it was the *right* audio or video, using only a set of headphones. But honestly that's about all good I have to say about analog:)

We still have two Agile Omnis. They're serving as computer-controlled RF switches.....
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:34 pm

We just deployed a Cobalt 9223 HD encoder and 9990 decoder for a link between our hub and a station in Alabama, where the last-mile circuit is rather flaky -- lots of dropped packets. The +RTP/ARQ option for the encoder lets the decoder request retransmission of lost packets, so unless the circuit really tanks, the decoder itself winds up getting a complete feed with no missing or out-of-sequence packets. What's more, it accomplishes this without using any FEC... so you wind up with a more reliable link with less overhead. ARQ has made the difference between a link that was unairable at times, and a link that is reliably flawless.