Definition of a heartstopper

It's just radio with pictures! :)
w9wi

Definition of a heartstopper

Post by w9wi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 8:58 am

when the Today Show decides to put up a still while you're working on the multiplexer.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

grich

Re: Definition of a heartstopper

Post by grich » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:54 am

Oh boy...when did this happen?

PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:44 am

Ouch. Networks are good for that sort of thing. They also like to run animated content when you need to check lip sync (or worse, a show like The View where everyone is talking at once and they never stay on one camera shot for more than a few milliseconds).

My most recent heartstopper was with our Harmonic Electra 9240 encoders. During the original installation, I racked them and powered them up (four of them), and continued wiring everything else in the back of the rack. As a result, by the time I got around to the front of the rack they had long since finished booting up. A month later I had to go back and install a hardware option inside one of the units to add a fourth encoding channel... and had no idea that it would take nearly five minutes to boot, during which there is little to indicate that anything is happening. I was convinced that I had destroyed a brand new encoder just as it finally woke up. (Harmonic could also use some stern guidance about user interface design: a flashing orange light tends to communicate some sort of alarm condition, not that video is being encoded normally. I still pause when I go past that rack.)

Jeff

grich

Post by grich » Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:38 am

Every quarter, one of our local Chevy dealers runs 30-second spots that are silent...black background with supers that slowly fade in and out. They get my attention! :D

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:34 pm

grich wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:38 am
Every quarter, one of our local Chevy dealers runs 30-second spots that are silent...black background with supers that slowly fade in and out. They get my attention! :D
Uggh.

We had a local advertiser do that a year or two ago. Drove us batty: the silence sensor would go off every other break... We were able to talk them into running some innocuous music just loud enough to keep the silence sensor handy. It still sure got your attention -- without triggering multitudinous alerts.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

NECRAT
Site Admin

Post by NECRAT » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:36 pm

Two words. Hollywood Exchange.
Spot from circa 1998.

Started in bars/tone.

The trick to lip synching during the view (without losing your lunch!) is to do it to whoever the guest is. They usually allow them longer speaking times.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

jthorusen

Post by jthorusen » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:16 am

I seem to recall it was a spot for a Cannon color copier that had bars and tone. That used to get my attention even though I was at the transmitter and couldn't do a thing about it.

Regards,
James K. (Jim) Thorusen
KB6GM
Central Coast Electronics
www.centcoast.com
NW Oregon Consulting Bdcst Eng.