NetVX - MUX an external stream

More channels means more money for the techs, right?
K5OG
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NetVX - MUX an external stream

Post by K5OG »

I am trying to configure a NetVX to accept a stream from a LEX2000 and mux it with the internal ENC streams. I have tried everything I can see in the setup but it is not working. And as a last resort I actually read the manual. Perhaps I don't understand digital TV as much as I thought I did. LOL
If you've done this perhaps you could post a brief "External Streams For Dummies" here.
And BTW, I removed one of the slot covers and peered inside. I think I see a couple of 6GH8 and some 12AT7 inside the old beast.
Thanks,
Fred
K5OG
PID_Stop

Re: NetVX - MUX an external stream

Post by PID_Stop »

I've done quite a number of NetVX setups and have several units kicking around. I'll have to set up a sample config on a spare unit and see what the deal is.

One thing to check: some versions of Vidiem are actually too new, and don't work completely properly with the NetVX. Revision 5.4.4 is good; version 6.x.x and newer is problematic.

Make sure not to turn it on without the shield around the 1G3 in place. :lol:

Jeff
PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop »

Okay, I just got a working setup that multiplexes an external HD MPEG2 stream with the stream from an ENC-H11-STD-D, using a TMX-M12-MUX card.

The short version (ha!) is this:

1.0) Open the "TS Receivers" folder, and double click on the input connector you want to use for your external feed. It will open a popup window with a menu tree on the left side.
1.1) In the tree, click "Interface n:rx1" (n is the slot number). You can change the name in the Tag box; in the Mode pulldown, select RX-Only.
1.2) In the tree, click the next to VC Control to expand the tree, and click VC Control. Click the New button, and give the Tag a good name for this stream.
1.3) Click the OK button. The popup should disappear. On the upper toolbar, click the Write button to send the changes to the frame. (This is the icon that looks like a red pencil over a yellow star.)

You have just enabled the input connector.

2.0) Open the "TX Multiplexers" folder, and double-click on an unused multiplexer. A popup window will open.
2.1) Click the + symbols to expand the menu trees.
2.2) Click "Interface..." in the tree, and set the Tag to a convenient label.
2.3) Click "Transport Stream" in the tree, change the SI-PSI mode to ATSC, set automatic base PID for program 1 to 48, and enter an EMM Base PID of 32.
2.4) Click "VC Control" in the tree, and click the New button twice. That will give you two items in the Entries list. Click the first and name the tag with a handy name; make sure the function is "Program", and the program number is 1. Now click the second entry in the list, set its tag, and make sure its program number is 2.
2.5) Click the "Program, Details" in the tree. For each item in the Entries box, set the major and minor channel numbers you want for each stream.
2.6) Click the OK button, and again click the Write button on the top bar.

You have just set up the multiplexer.

3.0) Open the "TS Transmitters" folder, and double click on the unused output that you want to feed. A popup window will open.
3.1) Expand the menu trees and click the "Interface..." item. Set the tag to a handy name, change the Mode to TX-Only, set the Standard to ASI, 188-byte packets, CBR. In the rate box, enter the total expected stream bitrate (19.39 would be typical for ATSC). I had the "Enable Pass Trough" box checked.
3.2) Click the "VC Control" item, then click the New button to create a stream in the Entries list. Set the tag with convenient text.
3.3) Click the OK button and then click the Write button to send this batch of settings to the frame.

The output is now set up.

4.0) On the left of the screen, under the Modules folder, you probably now have completely opened trees for TS Receivers, TS Transmitters, and TS Multiplexers. Also open the tree for Encoders.
4.1) In the Encoders section, find the internal encoder you want to use. Notice that its icon has a right-pointing arrow, which indicates that this is generating a stream. In the TS multiplexers section, find the first input to the new multiplexer you just created. Its icon will still be white, and will have a left-pointing arrow to show that it's a virtual input. Click the encoder icon and drag it over the multiplexer input. A popup window will appear, and you can give the Cross Connection tag a convenient name to describe this stream. Click the Finish button. The multiplexer input icon will turn green.
4.2) In the TS Receivers section, find the input you set up in section 1, and drag its icon over the second multiplexer input you created. In the popup, name that stream and click Finish. Both the TS receiver icon and multiplexer input icon will turn green.
4.3) In the TS Transmitters section, find the ASI output you set up in section 3; drag your new multiplexer's output icon over the TS transmitter icon, name it, and click Finish.
4.4) Click the Write button.

Assuming that you are feeding a stream into the ASI input connector you set up, the ASI output connector should now have both streams multiplexed together.

There are more advanced features to be able to groom PIDs, but this should give you a good starting point to play with.

Have a great weekend!

Jeff
K5OG

Post by K5OG »

Hi Jeff
My version is 5.6.0 so I'm some where in between. It seems to be working OK.
I've got the LEX2000 output feeding Input 1 on the second of two TMX cards in the unit.
Not going to play with it remotely. Will go to the site later today and give it a whirl. I'll let you know if I get lucky.
Taking my Zenith Tube Caddy with me just in case.
Many thanks for help!!!
Merry Christmas
Fred
K5OG

Post by K5OG »

Everything was good until I got to 4. It says to map this to an ENC module if I am reading it correctly. That's the problem. I have 5 ENC modules encoding 5 streams. I am trying to add a 6th stream that I am generating with the LEX2000. I have the LEX ASI output feeding Input 1 on the TMX card in slot 6. I am muxing the 5 internal VCs with a TMS card in slot 4. My plan was to mux the LEX2000 VC with the 5 internal VCs. I hope I am explaining this correctly. I've read and reread the manual several times but I am missing something.
And again thanks for your time.
Fred
PID_Stop

Post by PID_Stop »

Hi Fred,

I didn't realize that you had that many internal encoders... are they being statmuxed? I don't think you can include an external stream in a statmuxed group, because the multiplexer needs to be able to send feedback to each encoder to control its real-time bitrate. It might be possible to take an entire statmuxed group of streams and feed that into another multiplexer along with your external stream, though... naturally, the overall bitrate will be higher, but you should be able to compensate for that by reducing the overall bitrate of the statmuxed group.

Merry Christmas to you as well!

Jeff
K5OG

Post by K5OG »

Not statmuxed. Just crosslinked to VCs. I think this is going to be a bit too much to try to accomplish with this old beast. I've got two more ENC S21 coming and they should be here Saturday. Hope they will work. I've got 3 other S21s but they seem to have the same problem. They work for a while then all LEDs turn red, the entire output stream fails and then the LEDs start flashing. It's either a common failure or there is something not setting up correctly. I much prefer the S11 but they are a bit hard to find it seems.
Anyway I think I'm just going to leave this until S21 cards arrive. If they work that will solve my problem.
Thanks again for your replies to my questions.
Fred
K5OG

Post by K5OG »

Earlier this year I actually got a channel from the LEX2K MUXed with the internal encoders on the NetVX.
Then I figured out how to bring in multiple VCs from an external device.
In the TS Receiver section create as many VCs as you need. Set each one to the incoming Program Number.
Then just link each one to a VC in the TS Transmitter you are using as you main ASI output.