Windows 10 is auto-adjusting mic/audio input levels.... don't want it !

Get advice from the Nerd Herd!
acannon420
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Windows 10 is auto-adjusting mic/audio input levels.... don't want it !

Post by acannon420 »

So I finally moved on to Win10.... and now my issue..... Windows 10 wants to constantly auto-adjust my mic/audio input levels, even with NO apps running. There is no SKYPE on this machine, so don't suggest turning it off. I can bring up the LINE IN LEVELS thru the SOUND box, and talking into my microphone I can SEE/WATCH as Windows 10 adjusts levels down as I get louder.
I've gone thru the ADVANCED tab on the properties of that Input and UNCHECKED the box for "Allowing applications to take control..." so THAT's not the issue. What can be done to STOP Windows 10 from adjusting audio input levels?

THANKS as always in advance!
Deep Thought

Re: Windows 10 is auto-adjusting mic/audio input levels.... don't want it !

Post by Deep Thought »

Check to make sure you don't have some third-party (as in the computer manufacturer's) sound enhancement app running. Dolby, THX, "HD audio" and "home theater" drivers can really screw things up.

I run Station Playlist (automation playback software) on Win10 and have never seen that happen, but I have had issues with those extra drivers causing distortion and ducking issues which were difficult to track down until I disabled the driver.
Mark Mueller • Mueller Broadcast Design • La Grange, IL • http://www.muellerbroadcastdesign.com
Shane

Post by Shane »

Good info, Mark. Windows 10 recent updates and Google Chrome updates have forced this on us.

Two possible solutions:
- in the Startup tab of Task Manager, disable Skype (which is now an inseparable part of Windows), WebEx, and anything else you see there which might auto adjust, then restart the computer.
- download the Disable Automatic Gain Control extension for Google Chrome. You may need to activate it every time you start Chrome or visit certain sites.

Everything I’ve read online about this issue (Google is your friend here even if Chrome isn’t) talks about the levels being adjusted down, sometimes all the way to zero; most everything I’ve experienced working every day with work-at-home interviewers using their own PCs, and in some cases even laptops we have supplied, involves the levels being adjusted up, sometimes all the way to 100, often causing severe clipping and dropouts. Have yet to actually see levels adjusted all the way down but sometimes up and down on the same user.
Last edited by Shane on Wed Oct 13, 2021 7:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Shane, CBRE
— — Omaha — —
Shane

Post by Shane »

Zoom will also automagically adjust input levels. This can be turned off within the app.
Mike Shane, CBRE
— — Omaha — —