Flexiva heat problem

FM does it with frequency!
TPT
Has thanked: 0

Flexiva heat problem

Post by TPT »

Exactly opposite of what you are thinking. Presently--in my market of some 22 stations--I am the only local engineer. So this morning get a call that one of the FM's I now take care is off air.

3kw Gates Air Flexiva--16 RU amplifier with outboard exciter. Comes up to full power, stays there for about a minute or so, then dumps. No reflected power issues, error codes not terribly helpful. Site has three stations in a smallish block building--an old Collins 831 for a Class B on site, and another Gates Air 3 --but a new, 4 RU model, for the other station. About 32 degrees when I got there, around 45 degrees inside (most of the heat from the Collins is vented outside).

Then the GM gets in touch--didn't we have problems with that transmitter when it gets cold? Aha. Got the wall mounted units switched from "cool' to "heat" (after all--just last Thursday it was 70 degrees here), after a few minutes the transmitter stabilized.

Gates Air: Keeps you cold in the winter, hot in the summer.

Anyone ever figured out why this model is so susceptible to the cold?
RGORJANCE

Re: Flexiva heat problem

Post by RGORJANCE »

Maybe the temperature sensor is wired "backwards". :shock:

Fossil
These users thanked the author RGORJANCE for the post:
k4nfp (Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:16 pm)
k4nfp
Been thanked: 0

Post by k4nfp »

:lol: Temperature units backwards?

Anywho, possibly the capacitors and other components just get too far out of tolerance in cold temperatures? I am surprised, I'd expect the heat of the unit itself to generate enough heat to keep it from shivering :P
Is a VSWR of 99.9 good? :D
www.hismartlabs.us
TPT

Post by TPT »

It's not like this transmitter is in a shed on Mt. Washington. The day it got in trouble it was in the thirties outside, inside probably high forties. True, the heat was turned off from the wall units, but there is a Collins 20 Kw running full bore about 5 feet away--not all of that heat is vented outside.

Acted like confused logic. Transmitter would come up to full power run for a few minutes, then die. No sign of reflected power, no error indications.
Had to be manually restarted--then it would just repeat the cycle. A little mineral-oil space heater (the ones that look like a miniature radiator) placed in front of the rack cured it.
grich

Post by grich »

TPT wrote: Tue Nov 30, 2021 8:52 am ... A little mineral-oil space heater (the ones that look like a miniature radiator) placed in front of the rack cured it.
That's how I keep SX-1 s/n 19 stable on cold winter days. Some days, the heat from the HT-10 in the room just can't get to the SX-1's controller board.