GatesAir suspends AM TX sales (Radio World)

AM Radio discussion. Directional arrays are FUN!
NECRAT
Site Admin

Re: water/vapor cooling

Post by NECRAT » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:10 pm

Deep Thought wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:09 pm
RGORJANCE wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:20 am
They sold reasonably well in the international market, but pretty much bombed in the US.
I seem to recall they used vapor phase cooling in their UHF transmitters back in the 1970s.
WSBK-TV in Boston had a vapor cooled UHF transmitter.
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

RGORJANCE

Re: I seem to recall they used vapor phase cooling in their UHF transmitters back in the 1970s.

Post by RGORJANCE » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:08 am

TV? We used to refer to those TV sales guys as "purveyors of "mirrors and voodoo". Radio used "real - hot air".

Yeah, I recall that VP cooling was used in the UHF TV rigs. I don't recall ever saw one in operation.......maybe in the final test area however.

Fossil

kcbooboo

Re: GatesAir suspends AM TX sales (Radio World)

Post by kcbooboo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:10 am

I think the big Collins MW TX at the VOA/Bethany station was vapor cooled. Unfortunately that entire site (some 600+ acres) was taken out of service sometime in the 1990s and they put condos on the ground. I heard they moved the TX to a museum and were trying to get it going again.

I bet the copper recyclers made a lot of money off all the spider-web wire antennas strung up at the site.

Bob M.

rfn

Re: GatesAir suspends AM TX sales (Radio World)

Post by rfn » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:47 pm

The nightmares are back!

Nightmares of the GE (low band VHF) TT-42 I had to tend for too many years. Distilled water. Tens of gallons of it. Copper plumbing without end. And an aural transmitter that could remain on-air when the visual was powered down. Oh well, Jack Benny's 1920s electric car is, once again, state of the art. Bring back water cooling - it'll make engineers out of a generation of IT geniuses. With, of course, some pain - but it'll be good for them!