Replacement for HD-Star

It's just radio with pictures! :)
NECRAT
Site Admin

Replacement for HD-Star

Post by NECRAT » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:34 pm

So we have (or had) a Videotek (Harris) HD star, that appears to have made a sudden stop on a concrete floor. We believe it was dropped from the cracked case.
In any event, the HD-SDI Input has failed now because of the sudden stop from some unknown distance. The unit is old, and unsupported by Imagine Communications.

So I am looking for an equivalent unit to replace this. Any suggestions? I've seen a few units online but looking for "real world" feedback...

(This is a portable Hand-Held sized HDSDI TSG, with an HDSDI monitor as well. Perfect for testing cables, live truck IOs, etc.)
http://www.necrat.us

"Arguing with an engineer is like mud wrestling with a pig. After a couple of hours, you realize the pig likes it"

grich

Re: Replacement for HD-Star

Post by grich » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:25 pm

We've been using a Phabrix unit since we went HD. Test signals, embedded or AES audio, waveform/vector, eye/jitter.

Except for the battery petering out, it's been trouble-free.

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:42 am

We also have a Phabrix.

Upsides:
- Far more available tests. (for example, it will check for specific DID/SDID combinations in the ancillary data. Like NBC Namedropper cues.)
- Reads AES audio.
- Appears to be better built physically.
- Networkable. (although we haven't looked into that function yet)

Downsides:
- Bigger, heavier.
- As grich suggests, the battery isn't particularly useful.

Our HD-Star still works, and I still use it when I'm needing to move around Tech Core & don't want to take a power supply along for a ride.
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

grich

Post by grich » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:47 am

w9wi wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:42 am
...it will check for specific DID/SDID combinations in the ancillary data. Like NBC Namedropper cues...
Wow...I'll have to read up on that function, although we rarely have Namedropper trigger issues. I think. :D

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:26 pm

Of course, one of my guys is using ours somewhere else right now...

There is a screen that shows a present/not present for a variety of well-known DID/SDID combinations.
At the bottom of that screen there are (IIRC) three "User" combinations you can set to anything you want.

I was having problems with an Imagine X50 framesync blocking the cues. The Phabrix did a great job of letting us know when we licked the problem.

(actually licking the problem was somewhat more difficult:( turns out if you try to do a format conversion with an X50, it will mangle the ANC data on *both* outputs, even if you're only doing conversion on one of them)
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

w9wi

Post by w9wi » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:46 am

They let me have ours back:)

From the Main Menu;
- Sig Info
- ANC Status

Any ancillary signal that's present shows up in white. (it's grayed out if it's not present) It'll also show red if the packet is present but has errors. The Setup button lets you define the three User-n options at the bottom of the screen.

I didn't even notice until this morning, but this thing will do logging. I just hung it off a DA for a circuit we're having some glitch issues with -- we'll see what happens tomorrow...
Attachments
IMG_1198.JPG
--
Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN EM66

grich

Post by grich » Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:34 am

w9wi wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:46 am
They let me have ours back:)

From the Main Menu;
- Sig Info
- ANC Status

Any ancillary signal that's present shows up in white. (it's grayed out if it's not present) It'll also show red if the packet is present but has errors. The Setup button lets you define the three User-n options at the bottom of the screen.

I didn't even notice until this morning, but this thing will do logging. I just hung it off a DA for a circuit we're having some glitch issues with -- we'll see what happens tomorrow...
Cool...thanks! I'll have to try that out next week.