National over Eimac or Econco

FM does it with frequency!
ChuckG

Re: National over Eimac or Econco

Post by ChuckG » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:30 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:
Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:49 am
Nearly as crazy as the old 5CX1500 war story.
If you are talking about the Salt Lake nickel plated tubes, I still have nightmares.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:45 am

Yuppers, that's the one. They transferred the manufacturing process to another state, but somehow there was some slight of hand technique - unwritten - of course, that didn't get to the light of day and xmttrs were blowing up all over the country. Some lasted a whole 8-12 hours after tube change, some cratered with the application of HV DC! CLICK BAROOOOOOM!!! Smoke, fire, strange odors, etc. Fun!

How long did your's last???

Fossil

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:49 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:45 am

Fossil
I put one in a Collins 2kW FM and hit the plates, lights went out, destroyed the socket.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

RGORJANCE

Post by RGORJANCE » Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:18 am

Don't recall if I ever posted this before.....

Installed a Harris HT-5 waaay back in the early 90's. First factory new tube lasted well over 38,000 hours. Second tube - a rebuilt - lasted a year, third lasted back up in over 25,000 hours. Recent years, life has been pretty good with rebuilts.

Lately, our luck with ECONCO rebuilts has been relatively good, but did get two bad tubes for 10kw Harris and BE xmttrs. Warranty replacements seem to be holding up well. I think those were 4CX7500's.

We try to avoid the Chinese tubes as they have proved to be NG.

Fossil

ChuckG

Post by ChuckG » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:20 pm

RGORJANCE wrote:
Sun Apr 08, 2018 8:18 am
Installed a Harris HT-5 waaay back in the early 90's. First factory new tube lasted well over 38,000 hours. Second tube - a rebuilt - lasted a year, third lasted back up in over 25,000 hours. Recent years, life has been pretty good with rebuilts.
The rebuild in our HT-5 has chugged along for 39,420 hours and still has plenty of reserve. It''s still on reduced filament voltage.
The three previous rebuilds made it 12-18 months. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

Joe Friday

Post by Joe Friday » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:18 pm

Just ordered a 4CX3500A rebuild today from Econco...apparently they had stock, as the tube shipped today.

Kevin

Kent T

Post by Kent T » Tue May 01, 2018 9:10 am

RGORJANCE wrote:
Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:45 am
Yuppers, that's the one. They transferred the manufacturing process to another state, but somehow there was some slight of hand technique - unwritten - of course, that didn't get to the light of day and xmttrs were blowing up all over the country. Some lasted a whole 8-12 hours after tube change, some cratered with the application of HV DC! CLICK BAROOOOOOM!!! Smoke, fire, strange odors, etc. Fun!

Fossil
When that happened, and this is an old Gates FM1K, DC got applied, Click, BAROOOOOOM!!!, Smoke, Fire, strange smells, and the gnashing of teeth, and the liberal application of 4 letter words, none of them Love. And not so nice calls to Eimac.

TvRadioGuy

Post by TvRadioGuy » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:06 pm

We just had an Econco Rebuilt YU148 Put in to our transmitter tune up really good, getting power out of it. If you Prefer you can get an new tube from from Richardson electronics if your budget Allows you. Also RF Parts Carries them but They are our of stock.

REW

Post by REW » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:36 am

Thanks for the info. I got the Econco rebuilt tube. The tube tuned up with no problems. No overloads and loud BANG like the last rebuilds I tried to install. Only problem I had was the grid ring came out when I pulled the old tube out. That made the quick job of changing the tube take 3 to 4 hours but I was able to pull the socket and with the help of a small torch I soldered the grid ring back to its copper or brass plate. Not the first time that has happened to me. Any time I change the tube in an Energy-Onix transmitter I try to be prepared to repair the grid ring.

eda1373

Post by eda1373 » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:31 pm

So... given that Eimac and Econco are both divisions of Communications and Power Industries, Inc (CPI), are they basically coming out of the same factory and, if so, what would the practical difference be?

Econco has a totally separate facility near Sacramento CA. I have visited the facility and it is very nice. Econco tubes dont last as long as they used too, but they are still better than a new National.

Ed Allen, CPBE, DRB
Amateur Extra WA4ISB