Temperature Sensor for Remote Control

Want to know how something works? Harness the power of the Brainiacs!
sallen

Temperature Sensor for Remote Control

Post by sallen » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:24 pm

Would like to add two temperature sensors at the transmitter site to feed into an analog metering channel on the Burk Arc Touch. One location I want to monitor is 60 feet from the Burk the other is 70 in the opposite direction. Burk sells a temperature unit but its pricey.

Any other options out there for adding a Temperature sensor to a remote control?

ChuckG

Re: Temperature Sensor for Remote Control

Post by ChuckG » Fri Apr 27, 2018 6:50 pm

LM34 (lm35, lm335Z, etc) will do it for about a buck fifty.
therm0.gif
therm0.gif (7.6 KiB) Viewed 203 times
<><><><><><><><><>
Chuck Gennaro
Central Wisconsin

TPT

Post by TPT » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:35 am

Pick up a wireless indoor/outdoor thermometer for a local reference & initial calibration. Bunch on Amazon for about $15.

kcbooboo

Post by kcbooboo » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:13 am

That simple circuit is fine for indoor use, but if you need to go below freezing, you need an alternate circuit that biases the LM34 upward by about two diodes-worth. That'll give you temps from -50F up to over 200F.

You can also use a small wall-wart DC supply rather than the battery. In fact, doesn't the Burk have a +5VDC output on the terminal strip? You probably could use that.

Bob M.

REW

Post by REW » Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:17 am

I am using the circuit shown except a 12 volt wall wart, at two sites with fairly good luck. It should work well for you if you don't need something real accurate. The LM-34 will give you an output voltage of 10MV per degree F. Example 85 degrees would produce .85 volts at the output. I recommend running shielded wire if you are going to have to run it over 3 feet. I have had problems with RF on long runs so I added some .001 caps from the GND pin to V+ and the output. I also had more stable readings after I added a 47K? load resistor from Out to GND. I think this is the same thing Sine Systems sold as a temp sensor for there remote control units.